using beta 2.06 in vista

Discussion in 'LnS English Forum' started by thezman, Mar 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thezman

thezman Registered Member

awesome job man it works very well not a single issue yet. i am simply stunned by the less than 2mb memory usage. i am a former outpost user and since they are taking their sweet time to deal with vista i looked elsewhere. and latelt as much as i liked outpost it was becoming a bit bloated imo.

anyway... since installing i keep getting a windows "exclamation" sound very often. i uninstalled it and it goes away. is this lns telling me of something being blocked or similar? and if so can i turn it off... otherwise so far so good thanks great job on this..

2. Frederic

Frederic LnS Developer

Yes, the sound is played everytime something is added to the log.

You need to examine the alert to know if you can simply ignore it, or if you need to add a new rule.
    Otherwise, there is an option to remove the sound and to have log silently filled.

Frederic

3. thezman

okay thanks.. also i have now another issue that just started. when i restarted the pc lns yesterday started with vista. now vista will not allow it to start with vista.. is there a way i change change this. still learning vista. thanks

4. Frederic

Frederic LnS Developer

How is set the start mode in the options ?

If set on "system" or "start menu", Look 'n' Stop should starts when Vista starts.
    To reset the option, you can try the following:
    - select none
    - press Apply
    - select system
    - press Apply again.
    - reboot to see if it makes a difference

Frederic

5. thezman

was already set to system. i am trying the start menu now..

6. thezman

nope there doesnt seem to be a way without simply turning off uac.. any other suggestions??

when booting into windows its says this program is being blocked from starting click here to see what program it is ... something like that

Last edited: Mar 1, 2007
  7. Frederic

Frederic LnS Developer

This message is supposed to be displayed only when Look 'n' Stop is started in service mode normally.
    Perhaps UAC is more strict on your system and non-signed applications are not allowed to be started from the RUN key in the registry.
    Could you check the Look 'n' Stop entry is there in:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    or
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

if it doesn't work with the first (HKLM) you could try to setup manually a key in the second location (HKCU).

Frederic

8. thezman

thanks ill look for these when i get home to see if they are there

9. thezman

"C:\Program Files\Soft4Ever\looknstop\looknstop.exe" -auto was under the hklm and

there was nothing under hkcu.. what do you want me to try with this? thanks

10. thezman

if i add the string to the hkcu all i get is 2 messgaes now saying it blocked 2 programs from starting... any other ideas? thanks

11. Frederic

Frederic LnS Developer

There are some information here regarding this kind of problem:
    http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb325654.aspx

It looks like in your case looknstop.exe requires admin privilege for an unknown reason.
    When you manually start Look 'n' Stop, do you have an UAC Permission dialog box that opens ?

The strange thing is the same exe looknstop.exe is working for other users (including me) without the need of admin privilege.

I'm trying to retrieve the Microsoft Standard Analyzer Tool (from the above link), but the link is broken.

Frederic

12. thezman

yes if i start it, it does ask for uac control. when i isntalled it i gave it admin privileges and also to run the .exe i also gave it adim... i also tried to uninstall and reboot as the actually administrator (not my account the real admin account) and then switch back to mine and it does the same thing lmk if there are any other ideas

13. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

Security Center in Vista doesnt detect this, if you turn off Windows Firewall it'll tell you no firewall is turned on :blink:

14. Frederic

Frederic LnS Developer

Yes, for the installation, it is normal admin privilege is asked. But to run Look 'n' Stop it is normally not required.
    So it is not really an automatic start problem, but actually a direct start problem.
    If you use the admin login, could you confirm you start Look 'n' Stop with no problem ?
    I guess so, but I would like to be sure.

Is there any special restriction for the user for who it doesn't work ? It is a special restricted user ? and privileges are too restricted.
    This is my only suggestion at this time.

Frederic

15. Frederic

Frederic LnS Developer

The registration to the security center works only in admin mode.
    This is in the Known issue list and also discussed here:
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=165767&page=4
    (post #95)

Frederic

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.