Using Avast Home, considering a change...

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Hipgnosis, Sep 30, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hipgnosis

Hipgnosis Registered Member

I have been using Avast Home (free) for several years now and have been happy with it, however, I have been hearing a lot about AntiVir Classic and AOL AVS lately and was wondering if either of these offered superior reasons to change. If so, which one, and why?

In addition to positive reasons for considering these other products over Avast, are there negatives to be aware of with these two products (AntiVir & AVS)?

2. Hipgnosis

Ok, maybe I just answered my question....well...at least half of it. :) After reading the EULA for AOL-AVS I will not be installing or considering it at this time.

So, with that said...how do you folks feel about Avast free vs AntiVir free? Should I stick with Avast or does Antivir offer substantial improvement?

3. trjam

trjam Registered Member

stepping up to Antivir would be a positive move.

4. Hipgnosis

Ok, care to elaborate?

5. kdm31091

kdm31091 Registered Member

Antivir has about 6-8% better detection. It's not too big of a difference. Avast is good as long as you're a safe surfer. If you're risky you might want Antivir. Not a huge difference though - if you like Avast keep it.

6. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

It comes down to some different considerations.
    Surfing habits,detection capabilities, and the neccessity of a mail scanner component.

AntiVir IMO has a bit better detection capabilities.
    AntiVir free doesn't have a mail scanner.Avast does.
    If you surf conservatively,you could get by with Avast.

I prefer AntiVir but I have installed Avast for family members that insist on having a mail scanner.

7. JimIT

JimIT Registered Member

If you have been served well by Avast! for the last 5 years, then there is no reason to futz about with changing AV's--IMO.

Unless you like torturing yourself--which many here do. :D

8. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

If you feel like switching then antivir is a good choice. Its detection rates are excellent and it resource use is very light and its free, what more could you ask for? :)

9. FastGame

FastGame Registered Member

Avast is good even if you're not a safe surfer, its the unsafe downloader that might worry.

I use both Avast & AntiVir on seperate PC's that venture into dangerous areas daily. Avast WebShield is excellent as is AntiVir's heuristic detection.

thats good advice ;)

10. duke1959

duke1959 Very Frequent Poster

I have been using AOL AVS long enough time to tell you I'm not worried about anything. It is a fine AV, that includes Spyware and Adware detection. On the website Donna's Calender of Updates she did an unofficial testing of a few free AV's and both Avast and AVS did quite well and much better than Antivir PE. In all fairness this included spyware and Antivir PE isn't known for spyware detection. Also, she recommends looking in the AV Comparitives for other tests done. Here Antivir excelled, but it had only a slight bit higher detection rate than Kaspersky Antivirus which is what AVS is without a few features that I personally don't miss having. Antivir believe it or not is still my favorite, however I am just a little mad about the Notifier Window that pops up while it updates. I know some other people don't care about this or have done something to block it, but if you have used AV's like Avast and AVS with it's unobtrusive updating you get spoiled. It's mostly just principle, but by surfing safely on FireFox with McAffee Site Advisor, and using Comodo as my Firewall, I believe almost any of the free AV's will do just fine for me. I was even thinking of trying CA Antivirus with it's 12 month free trial, but AOL AVS is a very good program and even has self protection. There is something however, about not seeing that little red umbrella in my system tray that I miss, and I will end by quoting this. "Never say never again"

11. Hipgnosis

Thanks to everyone for the replies, information and opinions.

Since I see no overwhelming reason to change I believe I'll just stay with Avast. As I said, it has served me well for several years and I have never been infected with a virus. Additionally, as "the Tester" pointed out, Avast has the mail scanner which I like, and it has caught bad emails on more than one occasion.

I suppose I'm like everyone else, you start reading about how this AV or that AV is doing so well and you get caught up in wondering if it's time to change. I guess it's also good to just check from time to time to see if something truly better has come along.

Thanks again to everyone who responded.

12. TAP

TAP Registered Member

If avast Home has served you well and doesn't cause any problems, I think there's no need to change to anything else.

I have some friends that don't use any antivirus/antispyware at all since they bought a laptop with Windows XP almost 3 years ago. They use only Windows Firewall, Limited User Account and OS/software updates along with Trend Micro online scanner from time to time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.