Using Apple TV to download movies

Discussion in 'hardware' started by Rasheed187, Feb 24, 2019.

1. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

Call me dumb, but I didn't realize that you could rent/stream movies via Apple TV. So how does it work in practice, do you guys have any experience with this? Can I also access content from the USA? Reason I ask, is because obviously you can not find all content on services like Netflix and Prime Video. See links for content available.

https://www.justwatch.com/nl
    https://www.justwatch.com/us

2. guest

guest Guest

Apple TV no, but with Android TV yes; it is just like a computer, subscribe and sign-in.

3. Rasheed187

I forgot to ask, what if you want to buy a movie or series, where is it stored, can you burn it to DVD? And it's not clear to me if you can get access to USA content. For example, I would like to see a movie like this:

https://www.justwatch.com/us/movie/the-hot-spot

4. guest

guest Guest

Stored on their servers, by paying you just get access.

Now if the TV allow connection to external drive, maybe you can download it.

5. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

To access US content that is region blocked you need a VPN. With some straming services will work with with US VPN server. But others require specific servers. I use Windscribe as my VPN as it has a Windflix server which allows you to access US content wih Netflix and some other streaming services.

Usually if you buy content, you can only stream it. Netflix, does allow you to download content so you can watch it offline, but it is DRM protected and you can't burn it to DVD for example, you can only watch it with the Netflix app.

6. Rasheed187

OK, so even if you buy stuff, you still need to stream it? I didn't know this, sounds a bit weird.

But how to get this VPN working on a streaming device? And you know what the weird thing is, on the Apple site I can't find any clear info about what apps are available on Apple TV. I know I can use iTunes (they should rename this) to rent and buy movies, but what about other apps? I really wonder what exactly they will announce this month.

7. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

It's to prevent piracy, so that you can't just download movies and share them with others.
    I've got various Android TV boxes and that I can use for streaming and there are Android VPN apps. But for something like an Apple TV, there are services which let you stream overseas content just by using their DNS servers. But other than that you would need to configure your router to be always connected to the VPN. Some VPN providers have guides on how to do this.
    It varies from country to country, but is very limited.

8. Rasheed187

A bit weird, because you can also share your DVD's with others. Buying stuff that's stored in the cloud is not my thing. On the other hand, it does solve the storage problem.

OK, so seems to be a no go for me. It's very frustrating I can't get my hands on so many movies and series. Why the heck aren't all of these streaming services available worldwide? The current licensing system is crazy.

OK, that's what I already suspected. Weird that they hardly mention all of the available apps. I would basically only buy it for renting stuff that's not available on Netflix and Prime Video. I have to say that I'm surprised that Prime Video has got some classic movies that you can't find elsewhere. Luckily both Netflix and Prime Video seem to be available on Apple TV.

9. Rasheed187

10. XIII

XIII Registered Member

11. Rasheed187

Weird, link should work. But I've read it's coming to over 100 countries, but perhaps I'm a bit too soon with drawing conclusions. I had hoped that Apple TV+ would become an "all you can watch" service, so in that sense it's a bit disappointing.

12. XIII

XIII Registered Member

I still can’t open the link, but are you maybe mixing up “Apple tv channels” (in URL) and “Apple tv+” (in your text)?

Those are different services...

13. Rasheed187

Yes correct, "Apple TV Channels" is about American TV networks, so it won't be available in Holland. So I indeed misunderstood, but I do hope that Apple TV+ will give access to more streaming services.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.