Using Acronis to install image to new drive?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by NTeyeball, Mar 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NTeyeball

NTeyeball Registered Member

Hey all,
    I have used Acronis True Image 8.0 heaps for "backups" and rarely ever had to "restore". The one time I did, it failed due to HDD size difference.

The image was taken from a 80Gb drive with 36Gb used.
    I fried the drive and had the original 40Gb as a replacement.
    I thought the image could be "restored" to the 40Gb but oh no!!

My residence burned to the ground, lost everything, now having everything new again, I was thinking to purchase the Acronis 2009....

Can anyone advise if this type of issue has a solution in 2009 version?
    Or was I driving 8.0 wrong?

NT

2. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

I think the original drive is a bit too small to restore a 36Gbyte image. Part of it could be the difference in how the size is specified. Drives are specified using 1000=K whereas programs often report the size using 1024=K. In other words, a drives spec makes the drive look bigger. I don't know whether or not your 36Gbyte number is what was really used on the source disk or if it is the size of the archive. If its the size of the archive it may be compressed and it will not have the swapfile present. Also, TI may need workspace on the drive when doing the restore so this might be an issue.

3. NTeyeball

NTeyeball Registered Member

Thnx for the reply,

Upon "restoring", the program was telling me that it needed 80Gb of space to restore??
    Thus the question.
    So despite only having 36Gb of data on the 80Gb drive, it still needed an 80Gb drive (min) to restore to.??

Is there a way to dictate the size, or does Acronis simply copy partition "as-is" ??

NT

4. GroverH

GroverH Registered Member

The 36GB is not all compressed into one spot. Fragments are scattered over all of the 80GB drive. One thing you might try is when you get to the Restore screen where you specify what is to be restored, check mark the "disk" option. If this is accepted, the archive may restore into the smaller space.

5. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

Perhaps the image is listing the original partition size and you have to tell TI you want to resize the partition when doing the restore. TI will resize partitions.

6. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

Good grief! Hard disks are cheap, so buy something 80GB or larger (it would be hard to find anything smaller) and restore the image.

Check www.geeks.com for cheap hard drives. A reconditioned/factory recertified drive would be fine for your recovery.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2009
  7. alltweed

alltweed Registered Member

My Goodness -

Can't believe no one has got this one right. And I am not a techie either. Do a search on sector by sector backups. If you selected this option during the full backup of your 80gig HD this option will make a complete backup of your drive including all the free space.

Get a larger drive and you shoudl be ok. Its an issue that not well defined by acronis. I'll start a thread on it.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2009
  8. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello all,

Thank you for using Acronis True Image

alltweed, sector-by-sector backups were discussed on this forum. Use Search to find the appropriate threads.

NTeyeball, check the size of the archive in Properties. If the size of the archive is smaller than 36GB, check the new hard drive for bad sectors.

Thank you.

--
    Oleg Lee

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.