using Acronis after booting to a Bart PE disc

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by leoliver, Jan 21, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. leoliver

leoliver Registered Member

Hi Everybody,

I'm relatively new to Acronis and Bart PE. However, yesterday I made a bootable Bart PE build disc with a Acronis plug in .
    After booting to my Bart disc , I opened up the Acronis program to see how it looked in the Bart enviroment . I wasn't going to make a actual restore , but I clicked on the restore wizard ( to check it out ) and then recieved the following error message : Acronis does not support drives with dynamic disks or EZ drives . And when I clicked on a back up wizard , I received the same error message .
    Which is causing me to worry that I can't actually use Acronis from my Bart disc if I had to make a real restore .
    In my Bart Pug in directory, there is a folder named " a copy of Acronis " , I wasn't sure about how to use that folder so I left it empty during my Bart build process.
    Now would a copy of a Acronis back up go into that folder, during a Bart build process, so it could be restored from the Bart enviroment?
    Which now brings me to ask how, given the error messages I recieved, could I do a Acronis restore from a Bart disc?
    And would it be possible to restore, from a Acronis back up to dvd 's , from the Bart enviroment .
    Thanks!

2. mustang

mustang Developer

What version of True Image are you using? I don't think any of the Home versions support dynamic disks. Not only will it not work under BartPE, it shouldn't work under Windows either. What happens when you try to backup a dynamic disk under normal Windows?

What True Image plugin did you use. I'm not aware of a folder called "a copy of Acronis". Just delete the folder and see what happens.

3. thomasjk

thomasjk Registered Member

Oh and read mustang's excellent guide for making a BartPE CD http://www.mechrest.com/plugins/BartPEGuide/BartPEGuide.htm. Good work there Mustang.

4. leoliver

Im using Acronis True Image Home@ version 10.0 (build 4,871)
    I'm using the Bart PE plug in I downloaded, from the Acronis website , when I downloaded/purchased True Image 10.0 .
    What I was trying to say, in my 1st post, was that Acronis seemed to think that my Bart PE disc was a dynamic disc. I recieved the dynamic disc warning when I opened up the Acronis program, that the Acronis Bart PE plug installed on my Bart PE disc, during the Bart build process.
    The plug in, Acronis sent me , is a 32.1 mb size plug in. I copied/moved the plug in from my Acronis program folder, to my Bart PE pugin folde

5. mustang

mustang Developer

I'll need some more information to get to the bottom of this.

1. What version of TI is being used in the plugin they sent you? Using Windows Explorer, navigate to the plugin folder and hover your mouse over TrueImage.exe. What is the build number shown?

2. Do you have any dynamic disks in your system? Go to Control Panel - Administrative Tools - Computer Management - Disk Management. All partitions will either be shown as Basic or Dynamic. I doubt TI thinks the BartPE disk is dynamic.

You don't need to download Acronis' plugin for TI10. Reinstall TI and choose Full (not Typical) durring the process. You will find the plugin at C:\Program Files\Acronis\TrueImageHome\BartPE. Copy all the files and folders to the \plugin\Acronis folder. The size of 32.1 MB sounds correct for their TI10 plugin. You can also try using my plugin. Look at the guide I posted for the download link and instructions on how to set it up.

6. leoliver

1. TrueImage.exe , in my Bart PE plug in folder, is a 10.0 build 4871, size 10.7mb. The TrueImage.exe, in my Acronis program folder, is 10.0 build 4871, size 12.1 mb . The .exe file in the plug in folder is the same build, but for some reason is a smaller size.
    2.I have one disk ( 80 GB), with 1 small Dell utlity partition , about 32 mb . Both are basic disks types.

I downloaded your Acronis plug in, and used it too make a Bart PE build. However, I'm having a error message when I try to build with the xpe plug in enabled. ( the xpe plug was recommended on your website )
    The error message is about a copy/compress of a i386/plugin.OCX .
    I haven't burned to disc yet, until I can try to solve the error message.
    I may just have to disable the xpe plug in.

7. mustang

mustang Developer

Hi Larry,

It looks like you are using the correct plugin. I can explain why the size of TrueImage.exe is smaller in Acronis' plugin. They have made a modified version to make it easier to run in BartPE. Their plugin version doesn't depend on the Acronis Scheduler 2 Service. The Windows version does. They also have removed some functionality, such as image mounting ,to simplify things. That's why their inf file is so small in comparison to mine. My plugin used the Windows version and needs alot more registry entries to work. I'm still curious as to why you downloaded the plugin instead of using the plugin in the TI installer. You may want to get the plugin from the installer and see if you get the same error about not supporting dynamic disks.

Go ahead and disable the XPE plugun for now. After you get the dynamic disk error sorted out, you can move on with XPE. Let's deal with one issue at a time.

8. leoliver

Thanks for your reply. I'll keep you posted.

9. leoliver

OK , I made another Bart PE Build , with your TrueImage plug in (xpe disabled)
    After booting to Bart, I opened the Acronis program . I still recieved a error message, but this time the Acronis Wizards were FUNCTIONAL ( on my previous Bart build the wizards "froze up" ). I was able to successfully validate a Acronis back-up I previsously made to a dvd , and I loaded the dvd in a external usb 2.0 hub dvd drive. I was happy to see that it would work from a external usb 2.0 device. The restore wizards were also working, although I didn't actually restore, I was just testing.
    The error message I'm recieving is this; "E000101F4:Acronis True Image home has detected unsupported hard disk drives. Acronis True Image Home does not support windows dynamic disks, E-Z drives,etc . "
    And I don't have any idea what the error message is referring too.

10. bcool2

bcool2 Registered Member

plugin.ocx is missing from the Windows XP SP2b distribution CD compiled 2/2006. To resolve this issue in BartPE, I simply moved a copy of plugin.ocx from original WINXP SP2 distribution CD (8/2004) to i386 root folder and proceeded to build without problems.

Incidentally, Mustang's TI9 plugin works flawlessly for me on SATA internal HDD and Seagate ext drive.

11. mustang

mustang Developer

Hi Larry,

It sounds like True Image is having a problem with your 32 MB Dell partition. Do you have a feature called MediaDirect? It uses a special type of partition. Take a look at http://www.goodells.net/dellrestore/ to learn more about Dell partitions. I think True Image doesn't recognize the partition and throws up an incorrect error message. If that's the case, there's nothing more we can do about it. Contact Acronis Support to see what they have to say about Dell partitions.

12. leoliver

Since Acronis seems to be functional, in Bart PE, via your True Image plug In, will disregard the error messages. After all, if it works it works.
    I did send Acronis support a inquiry regarding the 32 mb dell diagonostic partition. I'll let you know if they tell me there are any major issues involved.
    Thanks for your support and plug in ' s !

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.