Using a VPN as an Internet radio ad blocker

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by MisterB, Mar 15, 2015.

1. MisterB

MisterB Registered Member

This one is a bit weird. I've been using a program called Radiosure for internet radio for the last few years on an old laptop hooked up to my sound system. When I first got it, it was totally freeware but it is now premium ware with a restricted free version. I use the original freeware version. I like a suite of radio stations from France called Jazz Radio which has a separate station for practically every variety of jazz, soul, and R&B. They are all music with no talk at all. Recently I was listening to one of the stations and all of a sudden, commercials started blaring out in English, just about the same ones I'd get from a local radio station including one for Wal-mart. The laptop was on a routered VPN tunnel to a big urban area in the US and it was obvious that the radio stream was getting the IPs geolocation and slipping in ads targeted for that area. WTF?? I wasn't sure if it was the program or the originating station that was doing this but I installed OpenVPN client software and set it to a French exit node and the ads are gone. I've had it on for the whole afternoon and not an ad, not even in French.

Just when I'd thought I'd blocked every form of advertising, a new one comes up. I'd never thought I'd use a VPN tunnel this way to block audio ads but it works. Yet another reason to use a VPN.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.