Using a USB Drive with Startup Recovery Manager

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by dougeeebear, May 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dougeeebear

dougeeebear Registered Member

I'm sure this has been addressed before, but I didn't happen to find it.
    So without having to read through 600+ pages, here is my question.

When I turn on my computer and press F11, the Startup Recovery Manager hangs and will not finish loading if I have an external USB hard drive connected.

If I press F11 with the USB drive NOT connected, the Startup Recovery Manager will load up.
    I can then connect the USB drive while on the main screen, and TI will use it with no problem.

This does not pose a problem for me, I just thought it was knd of strange behavior.

Thanks,
    Doug

Last edited: May 2, 2007
  2. DwnNdrty

DwnNdrty Registered Member

I don't know if you realize it, but you could get by without having to activate the SRM in the first place.

3. dougeeebear

Thanks for the reply DwnNdrty.

I do realize that, but I have it activated "just in case".
    I don't use the Secure Zone for anything other than storing the Recovery Manager (about 39MB I think).
    Like I said, this does not pose any problem for me, I just have a need to experiment with things to see if and how they work, and if there is something that doesn't work the way I think it should, I try and figure it out.
    I always back up using TI from the desktop, and so far backing up and restoring has worked flawlessly for me.

4. Xpilot

Xpilot Registered Member

I regard it as strange behaviour to invoke the Start up recovery manager in the first place [​IMG][​IMG]

Xpilot

5. dougeeebear

I have a need to know if a feature actually works before something happens that I need to use it.
    It gives me a little more confidence in the program.

Sorry guys, I didn't mean to open up a can of worms here, but don't you like to know if these features will work for you?

Regards,
    Doug

Last edited: May 2, 2007
  6. DwnNdrty

DwnNdrty Registered Member

I think the point we're trying to make is that there should never ever be any need to invoke or use the SRM. And if you do it is another thing to cause problems, since it modifies your MBR. It is a feature that has outlived its usefulness.

7. dougeeebear

Excellent point. I guess I have to agree with that logic.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.