Users thoughts on Windows OneCare...

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by quazimutato, Aug 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. quazimutato

quazimutato Registered Member

Just curious as to what people who are currently using the program think of it. I downloaded the free trial and like the overall package. Plus, $50 for 3 computers is a pretty decent deal. I must say, while the program does seem to be pretty hands-off, very little configuration options, i also like the ease of use it presents. What are the anti-virus capabilities of the AV engine, RAV used to be pretty solid. Microsoft claims to have integrated Windows Defender into the program as well, though i wasn't a big fan of it to begin with. The firewall, while better than the standard firewall in XP, seems somewhat lacking. Has the AV portion of the package improved since they first came out with it over a year ago? It didn't seem to do too well in the May test over at av-comparatives. Thanks for the replies...

2. maddawgz

maddawgz Registered Member

Tis crap!:D

3. quazimutato

Not the in-depth analysis i was hoping for, but thanks none the less.:(

4. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

I haven't checked it out, but did use the Defender for a year. In the whole time it picked up one piece of spyware. I uninstalled it. If Defender is an indication of what One Care is like I would pass on it. I use NOD32 and a few anti-spyware apps and think I'm in good shape.:)

5. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

every test I have seen OneCare in it has not fared to well :thumbd: :thumbd:

6. quazimutato

7. maddawgz

maddawgz Registered Member

lol shoulda been more specific......well it crashed my pc i had to reformatt it :mad: going back 1yr ago MD

8. EliteKiller

EliteKiller Registered Member

9. si_ed

si_ed Registered Member

Its anti-virus/spyware component usually does fairly poorly in tests (http://www.computershopper.co.uk/shopper/reviews/110643/microsoft-windows-live-onecare.html).

However, at least the firewall it provides is an improvement on the free ones in XP and Vista. Finally it provides sensible outbound protection.

The backup utility is too basic to be much use, but at least it supports CD-Rs, which the standard Windows one does not.

The conclusion of the above review was, "The package's highlights are the reasonable firewall and backup utility, while the anti-virus and anti-spyware parts let it down considerably. You can get better, easier alternatives for free, so we advise that you steer clear of this deal."

10. Huupi

Huupi Registered Member

You said it in a short sentence,but i can imagine so much pain to recover.From now on think about a decent imaging application,your live will be easier !

11. Inspector Clouseau

Inspector Clouseau AV Expert

Microsoft recently hired half of the CA australian team so we'll see how this develops.

12. BG

BG Registered Member

I was beta testing v2.0 but after reading about Onecare in the Microsoft Onecare forums I opted out on all but 2 machines. Google for the forum because I don't know if I'm breaking the NDA by posting this. Does run very light but I don't know if thats because theres nothing to it or optimal design:rolleyes: .

13. Bunkhouse Buck

Bunkhouse Buck Registered Member

Most AV tests show that One Care is mediocre at best. For an AV, use Nod32 or Avira. I do not like the fact that sometimes even with the paid version of Avira, there are problems with the updating module. NOD32 does not have this problem.

It is hard to believe that Microsoft does not offer one of the top tier AV programs given their resources. But the fact that they are behind the curve, shows you that big is not always better.

14. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

yes it is mediocre, but i do believe it will keep improving.

15. SourMilk

SourMilk Registered Member

My take is a huge company with many irons in the fire will almost always have a so-so security product in comparison to a company whose sole concern is perfecting security software. Sort of like machine made versus hand crafted.

SourMilk

16. Bunkhouse Buck

Bunkhouse Buck Registered Member

Yes they will improve, as do most AV programs. But, they have a lot of improving to do before they catch up.

17. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

Why didn't they perfect the product first, and then release it. Microsoft has a habit of using the customers to find the bugs, and then fixing them as they are discovered.

18. LoneWolf

LoneWolf Registered Member

Never tried it myself. All reviews i've read do not praise it so well.

Sound advise. :D

19. Long View

Long View Registered Member

I think an important point is being overlooked - and the name is the givaway -
    Oncecare was designed for those who have no interest in messing about with programs. The intended market segment is not interested in looking at NOD 46 or installing the latest HIPs and they certainly couldn't care less about outwardbound !!!.

For its intended market OneCare is just fine. Those who enjoy playing with programs will probably do best to give OneCare a miss - it will not satisfy the need to be always doing something.

20. EliteKiller

EliteKiller Registered Member

Doesn't CA typically end up last in AV-Test & AV-Comp reviews. :blink:

21. LoneWolf

LoneWolf Registered Member

So, then they should be perfect for Micro$oft. :rolleyes:

22. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

How can M$ be something meaningfull in security ? M$ just started with security. M$ has to catch up years to get on the same level of security companies.
    OneCare is just a mediocre suite, like most MS Applications, that come with Windows.
    Even Windows Backup can't backup/restore FDISR-snapshots, while most popular Image backup softwares can.
    Name one MS Application, that can't be replaced with a better third party application ?

Last edited: Aug 21, 2007
  23. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

For some people/businesses, that's Microsoft Office.

24. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

MS Office isn't an application that comes with Windows. I was talking about MS Applications, which are also installed during the installation of Windows.

MS Office is good enough, I use it myself. :)

25. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

Even so, OpenOffice and StarOffice are seriously worth considering in comparison to MS Office. :):)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.