Users of TI8 and GoBack (disk clone ?)

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by jaygo1, Nov 14, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jaygo1

jaygo1 Guest

Hi,

I'm using TI-8 (build 774) and the latest version of Goback 4 (V4.01.305).

My question concerns a FAQ about TI8 and GoBack (generic) appearing on an Acronis web page (see Q&A, below). A strict reading of the Answer (below) suggests that for a "disk clone" operation, GoBack would NOT have to be disabled, much less removed from the source drive. I say this because a "disk clone" operation would not come within the ambit of the 3 scenarios described as requring the prior disabling of GoBack.

Since I have a healthy respect for Murphy's law, I though I'd seek the forum's feedback before proceeding with a disk clone operation, my first. BTW, disabling, or even removing, Goback is no big deal, I've done it many times before, it's just that I would prefer not to have to unnecessarily lose the benefit of GoBack just in case something goes wrong.

I would be grateful if someone could verify, from their personal experience, whether GoBack should either be disabled or even uninstalled, prior to beginning a "disk clone" operation using TI 8. TIA. Jaygo

--------------
    Q. Is Acronis True Image 8.0 compatible with Norton GoBack?

A. Acronis True Image 8.0 is compatible with Norton GoBack, but for specific Acronis functions, you will need to disable Norton GoBack:

If you start Acronis True Image 8.0 from the bootable rescue media.

If you want to restore an image archive.

If you want to create, resize or delete the Acronis Secure Zone.

Please note that after restoring an image archive, the history of Norton GoBack stored on the target hard drive is automatically lost.

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello jaygo1,

Thank you for using Acronis True Image (http://www.acronis.com/products/trueimage/).

Symantec Norton GoBack modifies partition table of the hard disk drive and protects it from any changes. So GoBack makes it impossible to modify partition table and to delete/create new partitions.

We strongly recommend to disable Symantec Norton GoBack before carrying out any operation with Acronis True Image.

Thank you.

3. jaygo1

jaygo1 Guest

Andrew,

Thanks for your feedback.

May I assume that in your opinion "uninstalling" GoBack does not increase the odds of a trouble free cloning, over "disabling" GoBack? Jaygo1

4. Scopacetic

Scopacetic Registered Member

I just tried GoBack 4.0. Beware if you have a RAID setup, which I have. The install went fine, but on the reboot, the RAID and drives are not recognized. Thankfully, I made a TI backup before trying GoBack based on similar problem in past with GoBack 3.0. Had to delete the RAID set and restore from my TI image.

Amazingly, Symantec tech support didn't know this problem existed. It's just like the old TI8/RAID woes of so many, but no forum (that I'm aware of) to commiserate about it. Thankfully, they have a 60 day return policy.

5. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello jaygo1,

"May I assume that in your opinion "uninstalling" GoBack does not increase the odds of a trouble free cloning, over "disabling" GoBack?" - Yep, you are right. You can just disable Norton GoBack and carry out a clone procedure.

Thank you.

6. GoBacker

GoBacker Guest

I just tried it in a PC that has GoBack enabled on drive1 but not on drive2.
    TI8 made full backup to drive2. After the backup, the GoBack record was still ok. I set the drive back to the previous boot just to check it out. Goback still works. I did a TI8 restore by booting with the CD that TI8 makes, and set TI8 to wipe the drive and clone. This worked with no data loss except that the GoBack record is gone. When Windows boots on the cloned drive, GoBack is disabled. Re-enabling GoBack took one more reboot than usual, but everything worked ok.

If the place where TI8 is storing the image is not controlled by GoBack, then GoBack does not need to be disabled during TI8 image creation.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.