Username/Password Problem

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by SBacklin, Feb 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SBacklin

SBacklin Registered Member

I am running Acronis TI 10 on Vista Home Premium. Whenever I try and schedule a task (backup), it will ask me for my username/password so the process will run as me on this machine. I don't have a password setup on my Windows account. So I just enter my username and try to move on. It has worked before but, now it keeps telling me that my login information is incorrect. The username shows as Steven-PC\Steven which is my PC Name\Username. I just click ok to continue. However, it says "Logon Failure: user account restriction. Possible reasons are blank passwords not allowed, logon hour restrictions, or a policy restriction has been enforced. (0xFFF0) code = FFFFFFFF8007052F Tag = 0xBD28FDBD64EDB821 ED)

Like I mentioned I don't have a password setup on my Windows User Acocunt since I am the only one who uses this computer. I haven't setup any login restrictions such as times of day when I can logon, etc. I run this program as an administrator.

Here is something too. I uninstalled the program and reinstalled it. I did a test backup task. It ran fine with no entering of any password. However, when I tried to edit that very task to what I originally wanted, it started giving me the same logon errors. I need some help with this.

2. K0LO

K0LO Registered Member

Windows Scheduled Tasks will not run without access to a password-protected account. This isn't a TrueImage issue; it's fundamental to the design of Windows.

As a workaround you could create a second user account on Vista and give it a password. Use this account for running scheduled tasks and keep your existing user account as-is.

3. SBacklin

I know what you're saying but, that just doesn't make any sense. One, I don't schedule it through Windows, I use the scheduling in TI. Two, I never had a password on my user account and have been able to run scheduled tasks previously. Like I mentioned in my OP that it worked before. It has to be a TI problem because TI is asking for a password when the user account (the only one and administrator account) I specify doesn't have one. So TI is has to be a TI issue. Everything I said up to now proves that. The fact is worked before and the fact that its asking for a password on an account that doesn't have one and when its the only account.

4. K0LO

K0LO Registered Member

I'm not sure why you were able to run a scheduled task without having a password; it isn't supposed to work that way. Here's a screenshot of the TI help file:

Attached Files:

5. SBacklin

Thanks for the reply. However, I still say its a TI problem. If your Windows User Account doesn't need and doesn't have a password, TI should then know not to ask for one or continue on if no password is entered. This is how it was with Windows XP. I never had a password on the Windows User Account, I never had any problems. It worked fine in Vista for a while too. So, again, I say its a TI problem that needs to be rectified soon. I have to say this is BS. I shouldn't have to create a separate user account just for TI since I am the only user and the administrator which my user account reflects. This isn't a Windows thing.

6. foghorne

foghorne Registered Member

No you shouldn't and it is your right to organise your accounts as you wish - however you should realise that computer accounts are conventionally not representations of people, but of roles. That is why it would be perfectly natural to create an account for a dedicated backup process to run in. I'm not sure I understand what all the fuss is about.

F.

7. SBacklin

I think I found a doable work around for this issue. I was upset at the fact that TI10 quit working for me (asking for the password when I felt I didn't need one). It didn't do that in XP and it was working fine for a while in Vista. That is what the fuss was about. Like I mentioned though, I think I found a work around. I am able to put a password on my account (I did that already) and then tell Windows that users don't need to enter passwords to log onto this computer. I provide Windows my password and it automatically logs me in which is the same as if I didn't have a password at all. I then ran TI10 and I put my username and password. I ran a couple of tasks and I didn't get any popups about incorrect logon information and the tasks completed successfully. I set my normal daily task and didn't get any popups. I will know tomorrow morning if my workaround thing works.

I also do realize that the accounts are more reflective of roles rather than people. However, since my account is an administrator account, I shouldn't still have had the problem in the first place. Thanks for you reply though.

8. ripster

ripster Registered Member

9. brucek

brucek Registered Member

I am a new user of Acronis Home. I too have attempted to activate a scheduled backup. I skip the password field when prompted for the backup archive (Acronis tells me that I can), the after setting the backup schedule I get to the user name / password field that this thread is about. I am using WinXP Home. I have tried entering the computer name/user name, the user name only, the computer name only, and in all cases entering a new password, but nothing works. I see a refernce to needing a login password in Vista at the login screen, is this what I need to do also for XP? If so, I will create a separate login with a password that will only be used for backups.

Thanks- Bruce.

10. helva

helva Registered Member

I too am a new user and this is my first posting on this forum because I found that I could not schedule a back up with Acronis. Now done it, thanks to you lot. I have Win XP and have had no problems with other schedule back ups before so it must be Acronis related.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.