Username and password sent in plaintext.....

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by Digital Criminal, Aug 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Digital Criminal

Digital Criminal Registered Member

Hi all,

Oke so I was playing around in a test network with my laptop, which has Eset NOD32 installed. I was ARP poisoning and sniffing the network and I noticed that the username and password, which are sent to the update server(s), are sent in plain text..... and it's not even hashed!! (We protect your digital worlds ;))

Why this is an issue?

Well, think about public places like hotels and airports for example. Free access-points all over the place, but you don't know who's sniffing do you?!
    Someone could actually steal your username and password, which is also valid for downloading full products on the Eset website.

This issue was discovered in March 2009, and reported to Eset, but no fixes as of yet. For this reason we're posting this issue in the hope someone at Eset can finally fix this!!

Comments on this post are welcome!

DiGiTAL CRiMiNAL

2. bradtech

bradtech Guest

Thankfully I use no username or passwords for my internal updates lol

3. Brambb

Brambb Registered Member

Phoeh, sounds a bit paranoid to me. Although it should be easy to do, your better of posting it at the suggestion thread :).

4. Digital Criminal

Digital Criminal Registered Member

ARP poisoning and sniffing is really easy to do, but let's be honest sending username / password over an unencrypted connection is not done in 2009.

What happends if you've got one license and your credentials are stolen and 100 people use your username and password to get updates. Will Eset notice that updates are sent to 100 different hosts? And if they do, will they block this user?

D.C.

PS: If this subject is in the wrong category, please move it.

5. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

Paranoid, I don't think so. What happens when someone steals your info and posts it to a file sharing network? They would accuse you of doing it and ban your account. And the fix for this should be easy...

6. jimwillsher

jimwillsher Registered Member

It's no worse than the registration/renewal emails that they send. They too are in plain text.

Doesn't really concern me, chances of compromise are fairly negligible.

Jim

7. SmackyTheFrog

SmackyTheFrog Registered Member

On the few cases that I have heard of this happening, they cancel the old license/username and issue you a new one.

8. volvic

volvic Registered Member

Typical.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.