User GoGirl

Discussion in 'privacy general' started by jpcummins, Jun 9, 2024.

1. jpcummins

jpcummins Registered Member

I am the only person that accesses my computer. I just noticed a new user "GoGirl" and I have no idea where it come from. Does anyone have any idea what this is and whether or not it is safe for me to delete it? I am assuming I can delete it although I have never deleted a user before. Thanks in advance.

John

2. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

"I am the only person that accesses my computer." If this is 100% true then I'd say malware or Idk.

3. Hadron

Hadron Registered Member

If you mean that the user is a new Windows account, then I think it would be safer to restore a system image if you have one.

If you go to C:\Users, check the date on the "GoGirl" folder to give you an idea how long it's been there for or if or when it's been accessed. The only thing is, the folder may be called something else.

4. reasonablePrivacy

reasonablePrivacy Registered Member

Very sus/ highly suspicious

I would immediately log out out of banking, Google and other high priority accounts on this computer then unplug it from the Internet.
    Then restore image from backup or reinstall Windows. Disable remote log-in functionality. Apply updates, preferably offline and change user account password.

In parallel to image restore/Windows reinstall change banking password on separate device.

5. Mr.X

Mr.X Registered Member

Another important thing to know, what were you doing the night day or week other than usual routine?
    A new website you visited, installed a new program you download, ran a script...

Last edited: Jun 10, 2024
  6. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

I couldn't find anything interesting googling for this. I would certainly be restoring an image if I had one, and reformatting if I didn't. Is this user account an Administrator or a standard user?

7. jpcummins

When I looked in the user folder it showed a date of June 9th. I spent a lot of time on the 9th with Video Pad Editor and PhotoFitre 7
    According to the Belarc Advisor, it is a local system account and has never logged on. For what it is worth it was created on June 9th. I noticed it when I signed on the 9th or 10th, it was listed as one of the users in the bottom left corner of my welcome screen. When I sign on using the correct user it asks for my pin number. Out of curiosity when I chose the GoGirl user and pressed enter it took me to a screen to Choose Privacy Settings For Your Device. I tried removing the user GoGirl but while it says it is removed it comes back the next time I start my computer. The last few days I have not done anything out of the ordinary. I have primarily been using the programs Video Pad Editor and PhotoFiltre 7. I may not have a choice but to restore a backup image.

8. xxJackxx

Do you have an image backup from prior to this? I would be restoring that right now.

9. xxJackxx

If this is the same as VideoPad I found multiple claims on Google that this is malware.
    Revo Uninstaller makes it sound like a mess whether it is considered actual malware or not:
    Uninstall VideoPad Video Editor with Revo Uninstaller

10. jpcummins

My real-time security program is ESET Internet Security. I recently renewed my subscription, apparently on June 9th. When I installed the new version I elected to use the AntiTheft option. When I set up a Phantom Account Name I chose GoGirl. Why in the world GoGirl showed up as a user account I have no idea. But when I disabled AntiTheft it disappeared. I don't know why I couldn't remember doing that. I am 79 and my memory is not as good as it once was. Regarding VideoPad, I have used it for years. I have always verified updates and new versions with Virus Total and never found anything negative. I will need to research that further. Thanks for the replies and your help. I am so sorry I couldn't remember using the name GoGirl.

11. Lagavulin16

Lagavulin16 Registered Member

Hey, "GoGirl" has a nice ring to it. Thanks for turning me on to a new handle when it becomes available on Outlook! Happy endings. :cool:

12. xxJackxx

13. Mr.X

Mr.X Registered Member

So yes. It was a new program you downloaded and installed.

14. T-RHex

T-RHex Registered Member

Ah, well, at least it had a good ending: it wasn't malware!
    We'll all be there one day. At least you were on your toes when you saw the unexpected account show up!

15. reasonablePrivacy

reasonablePrivacy Registered Member

No worries. Good that everything turned ok

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.