User Account Control -> USE IT

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by SpookyET, Nov 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SpookyET

SpookyET Guest

When a particular user is not running as an Administrator under Vista, ESS should display the User Account Control just like the Windows Firewall does instead of a) having options disabled (the firewall prompt only allows for the the temporary remembering of the choice instead of creating a rule) and b) using advanced settings results in an error when trying to save, c) clicking on some settings such as "disable firewall" does nothing, not even a prompt saying that you have insuficient rights.

Having to switch to the administrator account is stupid and annoying in order to save firewall rules.

Changing the shortcut in order to require admistrator rights is also stupid a) you forget that it exists and never launch it wondering why applications are blocked and no prompts are shown, or b) you see it, launch it, and it stays with administrator rights. Meaning, anyone who touches the computer can play with the rules.

ESS is not exactly Vista friendly.

2. psychokilla

psychokilla Registered Member

UAC isn't exactly user friendly, I disable it as soon as I install Vista, I'm hugely disappointed in it, getting the user to confirm everything with a click on the "Yes" button isn't exactly a security feature, you could train a dog to do that and it also ends up as an annoyance, so much so that you end up just instinctively clicking it to get it to disappear.

3. SpookyET

SpookyET Guest

It's similar to OS X and Linux. It prompts for the user/password. That way, the operation continues instead of failing or forcing you to switch accounts.

4. The Nodder

The Nodder Registered Member

the first thing I do when installing vista is switch OFF that blasted stinkin' rotten awfull not properly thought out rubbish thing called UAC.

Do you think I don't much like it :rolleyes: :D :D

5. sukarof

sukarof Registered Member

I havent tried ESS so I dont know how LUA friendly it is, but my experience in Vista was that it was alot easier (less popups) to use Limited account rather than UAC.
    What I liked about Vista´s LUA was that Vista automatically alerted (popup for runas) me when something administrative was happening, otherwise it was quiet all the time.. No need to change shortcuts properties.
    Not like in XP where it tells you that you can not run it because you are not admin and then you have to right click to get the runas.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.