Useful guide / online security

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by TKHgva, Feb 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TKHgva

TKHgva Registered Member

Hello,

I don't think this website has already been posted in the forum. Or perhaps it isn't because most people know about it already.

http://www.guard-privacy-and-online-security.com/index.html

Anyway, I wished to submit this link as it could be useful for anyone in the learning stages like the poster.

It covers the following :
    • internet risks
    • identifying what security is useful according to one's personal needs
    • software suggestion

I have no expertise regarding the software that's recommended. I let the technically advanced members of the forum sort between good & bad.

Best regards.

2. LockBox

LockBox Registered Member

That site is full of information that links to products of which they are affiliates. In other words, they get paid when someone clicks on a link from their "reviews". Steer clear.

3. LockBox

Plenty of proof and they've tried to hide it, just not very well.

A majority of those links to products go through Commission Junction without your knowing about it. You place your cursor on a link and it appears to be going directly to the site without an affiliate number. Yet, once clicked, you see that it quickly hits a tkqlhce.com address complete with affiliate codes. Look at WHOIS and see who owns tkqlhce.com.....Commission Junction for their affiliate pass-throughs.

Scam and always has been. I think we've even discussed this site before. If not, then we should be, by warning people it's an information trap site by serving up not only loads of Google adsense (which is fine) but also hidden affiliate codes which is NOT ok when it's in product "reviews."

4. TKHgva

TKHgva Registered Member

Excerpt taken from Guard Privacy & Online Security hompage:

"(...) Tips to maximize your computer security, together with unbiased advice on the very best protection software.

Thanks for the info, I appreciate.

What I like about the Wilders Security Forum is that the feedback one receives really gives us multiple angles from which to look at things. You'll say: that's the purpose of having forums. I don't know if other forums manage to achieve this, as I am new to these exchange platforms, but one thing I can say is that here one is sure to come out with an eye that sees clearer and not feeling more confused than before, which can often happen while surfing the web. So :thumb: to the forum and participants.

That's really useful for those of us who aren't experienced and can go ahead and purchase software relying on the reviews of a website that, in appearance, seems independent and disinterested.

Evidently, the software reviews are biased given the information you provided on affiliate codes. If there's a commercial affiliation between the website and reviewed products, the website is not a good basis for choosing software. Again, I would've missed that had you not pointed out the affiliate program behind the links. :thumb:

I was aware that the internet contains a lot of scams, but I wouldn't have thought that so much effort be put into setting up a website just for bringing people to the website's commercial affiliates (information trap site). What I mean is that it looks like there's a lot of effort put into that website if it's done by one person.

On the other hand, if profits are good using this affiliate system, then I guess that can be in itself a motivation to put time and effort into a website and say whatever.

Call me naive/credulous, but from the point of view of someone who needs to find information through the internet, it appears like that website is made by someone who knows the field and simply has the passion and good intention to share knowledge on the topic, for the sole benefit of the "less informed people".

This reminds me of an article I read: a certain medical clinic offering a particular service (eye treatment using lasers I think) was consulting internet analysists on how to make sure they would appear in the top 5 of Google search results. The clinic then inserted on their website a sort of list which enumerated all possible misspellings for the treatment they offered. The list was quite long and therefore no matter what the keywords one would use in Google to look up eye treatment + laser technique, the website appeared practically always on top of search results.

After reading your post, I imagine that Guard Privacy & Online Security follows in a certain way the same principle. Anyone searching for such information is bound to stumble on that website, like I did.

After getting a good scare form reading the articles 'Internet Risks' and 'Critical Protection', one then naturally clicks the recommended software links to find out how they help protect our online privacy, just like I did! (practically each one to see the differences).

So basically the owner of the website got paid for every click. I have no problem with someone making an earning through affiliate programs or sponsoring, on the contrary. However, for the reason mentioned in your post : it's an information trap site by serving up not only loads of Google adsense (which is fine) but also hidden affiliate codes which is NOT ok when it's in product "reviews" and because the homepage claims: unbiased advice on the very best protection software, I shall not refer any longer to Guard Privacy & Online Security and remove it from bookmarks. I cannot comprehend how people can conceive to make an earning through tricks or lies in any way whatsoever.

Apologies for the long post on such a small matter, but as I hold responsibility for this so called useful link... As you said it's a good thing to educate people on the difference between independent info and biased info.

Finally, I suggest the thread of the post I initiated be changed to : A useless link (seriously). That way, maybe someone doing a Google search will find this thread before the website.

Best regards.

5. fuzzylogic

fuzzylogic Registered Member

It probably wouldn't, there are hundreds if not thousands of these 'ad farms' on the web which sadly seem to do a good job of parting unsuspecting people from their money. At least you were good enough to get a second opinion and save all the heart ache of finding out the hard way.

6. NTxLS

NTxLS Registered Member

TKHgva,

Lengthy postings are not a problem when it comes to any discussion of problems such as that link you inadvertently posted as a place to learn more about the web. BUT; you did post on one of the BEST sites for finding the correct info about such places. We all live and learn, mostly from these younger people on these forums. There are several that are very good and honest with reliable information. One of the BEST has closed it's doors and is not with us any longer, sad to say Castle Cops was one of the BEST for reliable information. I hated to see it go. Thank goodness WILDERS Security Forum is still here and I hope it remains.

If you would like to know about any other PM me and I will pass them on. It is not a very appropriate thing to do it in any thread on any forum.

guest,

It is good to see someone question the authority of a posters information on questionable websites. Some would think that is being rude, I do not because it is not questioning the individual but about the site and validity of the information.

From my experiences on Wilders they give good information and you can rely on it being accurate, yet you still need to be careful of any website forum because Hackers have gotten in and caused some problems not very often.

Thank you for reading my roasted poster and a very LARGE Thank you to Wilders for still being there for us,

7. Warlockz

Warlockz Registered Member

HMN? Maybe you should have read thru that site a little more? I didn't see any AD Tactics placed on that site,(No the site isn't in any way shape or form, like a software review site) NO I DID NOT SEE REVIEWS OF ANY KIND!I did see that the author gave examples of what he seen in his own eyes/Opinions to be some of the best security software, but the site is outdated, but the information on the site still conforms to everyday security advice!

http://www.guard-privacy-and-online-security.com/index.html

It is basically telling how to avoid problems, and gives many definitions/examples and good ones at that, on security, and the software one may want to consider!

I seen software products mentioned, like

Kaspersky
    Nod32
    Counterspy
    Webroot antispyware

SET AS EXAMPLES

Which are all reputable security software products, I do not see where they would be getting paid AS IN the site consists more towards advice, and not sales tactics!

Last edited: Mar 1, 2009
  8. LockBox

I did - extensively.

They are everywhere on that site. Carefully concealed if you understood how it works (as I described in an earlier post in this thread).

Well, again, it appears you didn't look very hard.

All of those products you mentioned have Commission Junction affiliate links associated with them. Please go to the Antivirus page at http://www.guard-privacy-and-online-security.com/best-antivirus-program.html

Now, go To "Best Antivirus Programs" (#3). Click on a link. See the quick hit to a server with a random series of letters that spell nothing out? (for example: tkqlhce.com) Those are well-know Commission Junction servers that allow the affiliate to be paid. Put one of those (again, like in my post above) in WHOIS and you'll see that those are Commission Junction sites.

There are affiliate links all over that site.

No reviews?

Please see:
    "Review of Anonymizer VS Ghostsurf":
    http://www.guard-privacy-and-online-security.com/ghostsurf-review.html
    Look under #4 in the review. The links all hit a Commission Junction server (as I described) before taken to the product site.

How To Choose Between A Commercial Or Free Encrypted Tunnel Proxy And VPN
    http://www.guard-privacy-and-online-security.com/free-encrypted-tunnel-proxy.html
    Look at the end of #3 regarding secure-tunnel. Look at the link address. At the end of the url: htttp:///www.XXXXXXXX.com/referer.cfm?pass=PW156XXX (Not an actual site - address & actual numbers removed). That shows a direct affiliate link with the distributor.

Just look around the site, Warlockz. Affiliate links in "product reviews" render the "reviews" and "recommendations" worthless.

You have contributed some good information to Wilders, but you seem to shoot from the hip quite often and sometimes seem very angry with your large fonts and colors. My post is not a matter of opinion. The site is what the site is and I showed you (proof) as to the affiliate links in product reviews and recommendations.

All the best.......Gerard

9. Warlockz

EDIT: Please if you have a problem with me, pm me, I found your comment to be very rude!

Just like the OP said

the site covers the following :

* internet risks
    * identifying what security is useful according to one's personal needs
    * software suggestion

__________________________________________________________________________________

Last edited: Mar 2, 2009
  10. fuzzylogic

fuzzylogic Registered Member

OH, steady on the colours and fonts dude. I think Gredy was only trying to say its abit dodgy to be a good guide to privacy online, there are plenty out there that don't have such a disjionted and discorded approach. I understand that websites cost money and a few ref links are never a probelm but when they are used to point people to good products it wouldn't hurt to warn them of ref links first rather bury them within paragraphs, its just good net ediquette.

Speaking of ediquette, be prepared to face alot of opinons online about things you may or maynot agree on, its better to offer recommadation and be done with it then post a massive rant in a thousand different colours and font sizes. But thats completely up to you.

11. Warlockz

LOL I'm a webmaster/adman of 2 forums of which I wont speak of on here, I don't think I need people giving me advice on how to handle myself in my reply's! he flamed me and I got pissed.........

whatever conversation is closed!

12. LockBox

That was a flame? You came down on me pretty hard (accusing me of not reading the site, etc.) for something you were wrong about. I spelled it all out and showed you that I was correct about the affiliate links and that the site did have reviews. It didn't escape notice that you didn't have a word to say about how I was the one who was right and didn't deserve the "read the site" and "I didn't see any reviews" rant.

I wasn't shooting from the hip and felt you were. Why not, with all the evidence now, just agree? Why the flame against me? You've surely heard the phrase, "Don't shoot the messenger?" I showed you, one step at a time, how it was being done. You said there were no reviews, I again showed you, even linked, to reviews. And please understand, it's the reviews that's the problem! You can't offer unbiased "reviews" when you link to "recommended products" with affiliate links! It's not exactly a secret that this practice is usually an instant loss of credibility.

Take ten deep breaths. It's not War and Peace, it's about a website.

13. Nebulus

Nebulus Registered Member

The problem with security/privacy/anonymity software is that "trust" is a very important part. And when you inform yourself about a security product, you usually don't want any biased results that might compromise your security. And also, a paid review site is not the most trustworthy kind of site.

As an advice, that might be useful for everyone: read about security products and practices, inform yourselves about them from free or paid sites, but test them yourselves if you want a higher degree of trust.

14. Warlockz

It wasn't about the disagreement about the site that I was angry about, it was the comment at the end that got me worked up, I edited my post!

As for that site, It is yet another conversation that is going nowhere, I don't base my opinions on peoples theories, I base them on facts, and the fact is, that the majority of the software mentioned on that site is good software, and is trusted by millions of people around the world!

Usually doesn't mean always! I still disagree with you, so why would I point out you were right when I think your just pointing out another theory?

Here is the Theory: "Because a site has affiliate links on it, some of which generate revenue, the site cannot be trusted"
    ................................................................................................................

Thanks for the link TKHgva and guest, I thought it was a good site myself!

Last edited: Mar 2, 2009
  15. Nebulus

Nebulus Registered Member

The site is absolutely useless because it is not based on solid arguments.

16. axial

axial Registered Member

The newly sensitized among us are wondering: Are there add-ons for FF or IE that will reveal "affiliate links" before one clicks on a link?

17. TKHgva

TKHgva Registered Member

I follow with the same question, but for settings in Opera.

Opera toolbar shows the different requests, that's how I was able to see the request to a server with random letters as described above. However, it goes so fast you can barely take note. Is there a way to see a complete list of requests made when browsing?

18. NTxLS

NTxLS Registered Member

OK! Folks,
    Lets not get TESTY over this, keep your wits about you and just do not make any of this personal after all this is the INTERNET and as I have seen others mention, "opinions are like a__holes, we all have one, some more than one, and they all smell rather BAD." Let us keep these opinions clean and to the point so those of us that are not 'computer wizards' can learn from what others think and visit these sites if we want and form our own opinion.

Security, in my opinion, is up to the individual and protecting our IDentity is also our responsibility. We usually pick and choose what we want to use by trial and many errors, that has been my experience, settling on what I feel is the most comfortable where we I can feel relaxed in using that feature or group of features. Like a new pair of shoes, we do not all wear the same size, type, color, et ceteras, nor are, those that are married, all married to the same clone.

I for one, and do not think I am the only one, use these forums to learn and get some good advise and this is what this site is about. If your skin is so thin that these words penetrate to your soul I am very sorry for you and would like to offer a truce in this matter and would like to change the subject so we can go on and forget we ever started this. It was done with good intentions and seems is now getting out of hand. If need be STOP and get you a fresh cup of JAVA, not software, and sit back and relax, then let us move on to more EDUCATION for the un-enlightened, if we can?

TIA,

19. axial

axial Registered Member

Follow-up to myself, I just came across a FF add-on called Interclue that apparently will reveal paid links on pages.

http://interclue.com/

20. Warlockz

Thank you very much for sharing this usefull Firefox Add-on with us!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.