USEFUL dos prompts

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by iceni60, Jul 10, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

i was hoping you could help me with some useful prompts for my xp,like this one,for prefetch file defrag,that ronjor showed me afew days ago
    Open the command prompt type defrag (space) C: (space) -b
    i know theres lots,so if you have helpful ones,im sure it would help,not just me,but the lurker and browsing lot too.thank you

2. Close_Hauled

Close_Hauled Registered Member

help

Lists all of the DOS prompt commands.

netstat -ao

A simple port enumerator that tells you what TCP and UDP ports your processes are using.

ipconfig /all

Shows your your network cards TCP/IP configurations.

chkdsk /f

Checks the hard disk for problems the next time that you boot up.

DOS commands and batch programming is a lost art. You can create batch files with the Notepad and use them to do frequent routines, such as backing up files. I use the "Scheduled Tasks" control panel to run the routines on a reqular basis. For instance, daily I backup files to an offsite server, and I download virus signatures to a central location on the server.

Close Hauled

3. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

thank you,Close Hauled great stuff,if you are interested heres a link you probably have already..
    http://lists.gpick.com/pages/MS_DOS.htm
    id still love to hear of more prompts you lot may have,ive seen tweak programs that use the prompt ronjor gave me.they maybe a lost art in general,but surely not at Wilders.i hope not.

4. nick s

nick s Registered Member

5. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

Thanks Nick,i'll read through it all.

6. Close_Hauled

Close_Hauled Registered Member

No problem. Any DOS question is more than welcome.

That web site makes me feel all nostalgic inside. There are times when I miss the "good old days". I once created a list of all of the OS's that I have worked with. I gotta go find it and post it.

You'ld be surprised what you can still do with DOS. Last year, just for fun, I built a pure DOS system that could access the Web. The DOS browser that I found was aweful. But the system worked.

If you wan to get into DOS even deeper;

IBM still sells PC-DOS

Need a boot disk?

FreeDOS

DOS games

If you got an old machine laying around, get a boot disk and get some "old school".

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.