Use TI backup to restore system

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Tony F, Sep 24, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tony F

Tony F Registered Member

I have a TI backup made to DVD 6 months ago which I now want to use to refresh my system (whole of C: drive) so as to get rid of the "crud" windows and using the internet has generated over this period. If I just take the TI restore option on this image am I right in thinking any new files will still remain on the system if they weren't there 6 months ago? What I want to do is basically use the image as a system restore back to 6 months ago and then restore a backup of my data (basically my documents) over the top.

Any ideas how I should carry this out?

(I have version 10.0 (build 4,940) running on Windows XP)

2. thomasjk

thomasjk Registered Member

No your new files will not be there after a restore. A complete restore will wipe out the drive. Backup the new files and restore them later. Any new programs will also not be there.

3. davidg1

davidg1 Registered Member

Tony, if you just made a BU (image) of your system 6 months ago, on restore that is what you will get, an exact copy at that point in time.
    All new files added since then will be erased (or just not show).
    In order to keep newer files, you first need to make sure to back them up, you could use the option to backup your Documents as well as any file you want to preserve NOW.
    After you restore your image to 6 months ago.
    THEN, restore My Documents as well as any other file you have preserved.
    ALSO, I would create a full BU (Image of the disc) PRIOR any manipulation, just to be sure I can return my computer to TODAY.
    TI is a wonderful tool,has always save me of my own foolishness but will not create what I have not saved.
    Good luck
    PS, also I make copies (BU) of my bookmarks on a separated folder.
    Wait for other members with more experience's ideas.

4. GroverH

GroverH Registered Member

TonyF,
    Before attempting to use this backup to restore your system.
    1. Have TI validate the 6 month old archive image.
    2. Any chance of copying the backup DVD to another drive--such as an external so the actual DVD is not used to restore the system?
    3. References by others to creating a complete new full disk backup is good but the new backup should be stored to another drive. For many, backups to DVD has not produced a workable restore.
    4. Remember, after the restore, you will need to visit the Microsoft Windows update center and update all your programs--plus updating any other software which has been updated within the past six months. Have you considering using some of the crud cleaning programs which might solve your dilemma without doing a restore? I use Ccleaner (for one) to keep some of temp stuff manageable.
    5. If you are not own an external drive for use in storing your TI backup images plus other personal backup items, you should give it serious thought. I would be remiss if I did not offer this suggestion for your backup storage.

Removing Junk
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=134883

Favorite Registry cleaner
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=186388

Empty Temp Folderw
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=186299

5. Tony F

Tony F Registered Member

Thank you for the responses.

Re: GroverH
    I do not have an external drive but will look into it for the future. Meanwhile in trying to use the backup on DVD, I use IFS Drives utility (mentioned elsewhere on the forum) to access the Secure Zone and had hoped to be able to copy the DVDs backup back into the Secure Zone but Windows indicates there is no space remaining to do it so I assume TI reserves the space that makes it unusable outside. Can I copy the DVDs to a folder on the C: drive and then restore from there? Can the restore cope with the image being held on the drive being overwritten?

6. GroverH

GroverH Registered Member

Secure zone not normally accessible to perform any file maintenance.

The backup image will need to be on another drive (internal/external/DVD in order for you to restore C. You cannot restore C from a folder on C.

Another way of creating a backup on DVD is to create a full disk backup of drive C and store it on C; and then burn the backup/archive to DVD using the 2 step method. Use the acronis "archive splitting" option to create DVD size files. After creation of the archive, then burn the backup files as a simple data copy. You will have at least two or more independent DVD's.

7. Tony F

Tony F Registered Member

An update ...

As forewarned the restore from DVD failed on disk 1 even after TI successfully validate it. :mad:

Since by then the c: drive had been cleared I had to depend on the TI backup I'd done to Secure Zone before starting to recover. Fortunately that worked. :)

Quite a rollercoster introduction to TI recovery.

Going to look at purchasing an USB external hard drive.

8. shieber

shieber Registered Member

If you use CCLeaner, be sure to use version 1.4.1544 and not version 2. Version 2 doesn't clean all the stuff it's supposed to -- they're still working out the bugs. version 1.4.1.544 works great.

Update: A corrected verison of Ccleaner 2.0 is supposed to be posted on it's website on or about 9/28/7 -- the new version is 2.01

Last edited: Sep 28, 2007
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.