Use power outlets as a Wi-Fi alternative

Discussion in 'hardware' started by lotuseclat79, Sep 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lotuseclat79

lotuseclat79 Registered Member

Use power outlets as a Wi-Fi alternative.

http://www.physorg.com/newman/gfx/news/hires/reviewusepow.jpg
    A Hercules ePlug is shown in use at a home in Marborough, Mass., Tuesday, Sept. 1, 2009. The ePlug uses a standard network port to connect to a computer, then uses the electric circuit of a home to receive Internet signals from a companion ePlug in an electric outlet and cabled to the Internet in another room. (AP Photo/Bill Sikes)

-- Tom

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 4, 2009
  2. YeOldeStonecat

YeOldeStonecat Registered Member

Along the Shorelines somewhere in New England
    Yup, ethernet over powerline works. Can be mixed results for some people depending on the condition/quality of the electrical wiring in their home. When I first moved into the current 3 story farmhouse I'm in, at first I had the cable modem down on the first floor and my office and gaming computer up on the 3rd floor. Gaming over wireless with some games that require high bandwidth sucked..so I got a pair of the powerline bridges. Was as solid for online gaming as if I ran ethernet.

I had a couple of issues when I added a 3rd powerline bridge..but haven't had to use them for a while. That was back in the earlier days of versions, some improvements certainly have been made since then.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.