Use of the 'Backup Archive Validation Wizard'

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Rhoda, May 6, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rhoda

Rhoda Registered Member

It was suggested that I use the above 'Tool' to check a backup, to make sure it was not corrupted.
    I had backed up my entire Computer to an external hard drive [Drive F].
    I selected 'from the archive in the tree below', 'My Computer'.
    The right pane of that window then read 'My Computer', and underneath it 'system file'.
    Under 'file name' box I entered the name I had given to that backup: F:\My 2nd full backup 2006.04.30.
    I chose 'files of type': Backup archives [*.tib].
    However, I was not able to progress to the next step. No matter how I changed the 'file name' to other things, the 'next' button was always greyed out.
    The 'help' file was of no assistance.
    What is the proper way to fill in the data to get this Wizard to work?
    Would appreciate any help here--I am a novice re image backups.
    Thanks.
    Rhoda

2. TheWeaz

TheWeaz Registered Member

You need to navigate through the left pane just like Windows Explorer and go the folder that contains your backup image to select it.

3. Rhoda

Rhoda Registered Member

Thanks for your help, but I'm afraid I still can't get the proper name to enter in the 'File name' box. The external hard drive I back up to is called 'BackupLap [F]; my computer's hard drive is C:.My backup was a full backup of 'My Computer'.I have tried entering several variations--[both in F: and in C:] including the name and date of the backup in question.
    I have tried navigating through just about EVERY folder, incldding the WINDOWS folder, showing in the left pane, order to find something that would 'ungrey' the 'next' button. Yet it has remained greyed out in every instance.
    Must I have first to have set up a 'virtual drive' in order to use the 'Backup Achive Validation Wizard'? I don't think I have done this. If it is necessary, must I create a new 'virtual drive every time I make a full bckup?
    May I try your patience one more time?
    Rhoda

4. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

Are you saying you did a Files and Folders backup of all the drives under "My Computer"? I'm not sure that would be the cause of any trouble but if F: is in the list and you are writing to F: I don't know what TI will do.

When you go to F: where you saved the backup, what does Windows Explorer see for your back up file name and properties?

If you did a Files and Folders of your whole system, I would abandon it. Make a partition image backup of your C drive onto F: and if you have some data files you wish to backup independently you can make a Files and Folders backup of them. A Files and Folders backup will not allow you to restore a bootable system.

My apologies if the above is not what you did but Files and Folders looks like the only way I can see "My Computer" when making a backup.

5. TheWeaz

In the left pane, when you click the ‘+’ next to My Computer, the list of available drives should appear. You should see the F: drive listed. Click on the ‘+’ next to that. Assuming that the image file is not further down the path, it should then be listed. Click on it and then on Next.
    In my example, the backup drive is D: instead of F:.

Attached Files:

6. TheWeaz

The only other thing I can think of is that the file is not named what you think it is.
    By default, only files with a .tib extension show up in the left pane list. If the extension was changed or removed, the file will not appear. Try changing the “File of type:” to All Files and look again.

I bet when you keyed in the file name when you created the image, you did NOT add the “.tib” to the end.

7. whocrazy

whocrazy Registered Member

but the .tib extention is added automatically, so one usually doesn't need to worry about remembering to put it there.

8. TheWeaz

Not always - If you key in "My 2nd full backup 2006.04.30", the .tib will NOT be added. It assumes the '.' in the file's name to signify the start of the extension.

Last edited: May 7, 2006
  9. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

My main rule for filenames is to never use "." in them except to denote an extension. The OS considers it a special character.

10. TheWeaz

Exactly. I’ve become quite found of the ‘_’ over the years. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.