Use of MBR for restore

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by sarutaro, Jun 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sarutaro

sarutaro Registered Member

During restore process, there are two choices:

NTFS (C: )
    MBR and Track 0

I always chose only "NTFS (C: )" without knowing what MBR does for restore. So far, I did not see any problem with restoring C-partition. My question is under what circumstances I should select "MBR and Track 0" AND/OR "NTFS (C: ) with MBR and Track 0" . Please enlighten me. Thanks. Sarutaro

2. Xpilot

Xpilot Registered Member

If your C drive were to be replaced by a new drive or one that had not been used as your C drive previously it is a good idea to include track 0 and the MBR as then the restored computer should boot sucessfully after a restore.
    In fact with a simple setup such as yours Windows might well play it by ear and boot your system without a restored MBR but why take the chance?
    I always include T.0 and the MBR in all my restores whether they need it or not. It only takes a millisecond or so to run and that way it does not get forgotten.

Xpilot

3. dougeeebear

dougeeebear Registered Member

For what it's worth, here's a scenario that happened to me:

I have the Startup Recovery Manager activated.
    I installed a third-party boot manager to try and dual-boot my system and the SRM.
    Needless to say, it wouldn't boot the SRM.
    So I uninstalled the boot manager, and the option to "Press F11 for Acronis Startup Recovery Manager" was gone, and I had an error that prevented me from booting up the OS.
    Using the bootable CD, I restored just the MBR and the "Press F11" option was back to normal, and the OS booted up with no problem.

Doug

4. sarutaro

sarutaro Registered Member

Thank you for your practical tip.
    Sarutaro

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.