Use MiKTeX to search, install and update LaTeX packages

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Mrkvonic, Apr 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hi all,

Geeks and PhD students, over here. Seriously, anyone can read :)

I've written a tutorial about how to use MiKTeX and the associated package manager to search, install and update LaTeX packages; mainly for use with LyX, on Windows. Most recommended for anyone seeking to wean themselves off various Office suites and start working with documents like intended.

http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/miktex.html

Cheers,
    Mrk

2. Raza0007

Raza0007 Registered Member

Thanks, but for me it is 3 years too late. I did my Master's thesis using LaTeX (MiKTeX) and WinEdt. LateX is very useful for someone who writes documents for a living, but it is not necessary for everyday tasks. This is the reason, I am afraid, that it will never gain wide acceptance. However, it is a valuable tool if you regularly write research papers, thesis, product manuals etc.

Thanks for the tutorial. I will go over it when I have time.

3. pajenn

pajenn Registered Member

Personally I just used the download everything option for MiKTeX. To keep it up-to-date I click Maintenance -> Update option from its start menu options now and then. However, the MiKTeX folder currently takes up 1.7 GB on my hard disk with a ton of folders -- I suggest anyone using it not install it on C: - use another partition so as not to slow down your system partition and associated backups or other functions.

I used Scientific Workplace for a while, which is similar to LyX, but I recently switched to BaKoMa TeX, which is much better (but Windows only). It's a true WYSIWYG editor that shows your LaTeX code in one window and the compiled (preview) version in another window. You can edit both. However, BoKoMa isn't free.

For a free WYSIWYG LaTeX editor there's TeXmacs. Unfortunately the Windows version requires CygWin (or CygTeXmacs) and it ran slowly on my system, plus I never got the hang of it. Maybe the Linux version works better.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.