USB Write Error

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by John O, Mar 17, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John O

John O Registered Member

Write Error

Hi,

I have connected a 40GB hard drive to my USB 2.0 port in an attempt to clone my c:\ drive using True Image 9

After the computer reboots, it begins the cloning process, but then I get disk write fails. These failures happen at different times (2%, 8%, 15%).

Is this product capable to cloning to a 3.5" hard drive connected via USB 2.0? It seemed to work fine setting it up..I just can't seem to get it to clone.

Thanks,

John O

2. John O

John O Registered Member

Hi,

I have connected a 40GB hard drive to my USB 2.0 port in an attempt to clone my c:\ drive using True Image 9

After the computer reboots, it begins the cloning process, but then I get disk write fails. These failures happen at different times (2%, 8%, 15%).

Is this product capable to cloning to a 3.5" hard drive connected via USB 2.0? It seemed to work fine setting it up..I just can't seem to get it to clone.

Thanks,

John O

3. TheQuest

TheQuest Registered Member

Hi, John O

Yes.

Take Care,
    TheQuest :cool:

4. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

Hi John,

TrueImage can clone via USB 2, but since you are having problems, here's something to try.

First try to make an image of your C drive to the USB 2 drive. (You really want to image the entire hard drive if it has more than one partition to ensure that the image will make a bootable drive when you restore the image.) After creating the image on the USB 2 drive, verify it.

Let us know if the image is created successfully and whether it verifies correctly.

It would be useful to know the amount of used space on the C drive, whether it is the only partition on that drive, and the time it takes to create the image. Also please confirm that you are using Build 2337 of TI 9.

5. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Re: Write Error

Hello John O,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please make sure that you use the latest build (2337) of Acronis True Image 9.0 which is available at: http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/support/updates/

You can find the full version name and build number by going to Help -> About... menu in the main program window.

To get access to updates you should create an account at:
    http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/my/
    then log in and use your serial number to register your software.

Please uninstall any previously installed build by following Start -> Settings -> Control Panel -> Add or Remove Programs -> Acronis True Image, prior to installing build 2337.

Note that you should create new Bootable Rescue CD after installing the update.

If the problem still persists with the latest build (2337) of Acronis True Image 9.0 then please check each partition of both source and destination hard drives by Windows utility:

- For Windows 9x please use Windows menu Start\Run then enter the command "scandskw" and test all drives;

- For Windows XP please use Windows menu Start\Run, then enter the command "chkdsk c: /r" "chkdsk d: /r" for every partition of your hard drive.

Note that you will need to reboot your computer in order to scan the system partition.

Please also download the latest version of Acronis drivers, install it with disabled logging, try to perform the disk cloning process once more and see if the problem still persists.

If the problem still persists then please try to perform the disk cloning process when the computer is booted from Bootable Rescue CD created using the latest build (2337) of Acronis True Image 9.0.

If that does not help either then please provide us with the following information:

- Create Acronis Report and Windows System Information as it is described in Acronis Help Post;

Please keep both source and destination hard drive connected while creating Acronis Report and Windows System Information;

- Provide us with the exact text of the error message that you receive;

- Let us know when exactly you receive this error message;

- Describe actions taken before the problem appears step-by-step.

Please submit a request for technical support. Attach all the collected files and information to your request along with the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with the solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

6. bunjo

bunjo Registered Member

Hi,

I've recently bought TI (Home) after struggling and fixing a similar(?) problem in the trial version. My computer is a comparatively old Jetway P4XFA (VIA chipset) motherboard, running XP SP2 (home). The internal drive(s) were either a PATA Western Digital 80 Gb or a PATA Samsung 200 Gb. The USB 2.0 ports are provided by a PCI card (I tried both an OEM VIA chipset card, and a posh Belkin NEC chipset card). The external drive is a Western Digital 'Essential' 180 Gb.

I found that when I was archiving a full disk image (not cloning) to an external USB drive I was getting write errors or computer freezes. If the archive completed without error the verify would fail with an error, or the computer would freeze, or fail with a verify error. Memtest showed no memory errors.

After a lot of investigation I found that I could archive successfully to the USB drive if I first switched off UDMA capabilities on the C: drive (by changing the BIOS settings). Although this slowed the data transfer rate, the actual archiving took only marginally longer. Once the archiving was complete I switched UDMA back on.

The same archiving (and also cloning) were successful from one internal PATA drive to another without disabling UDMA.

I can only assume that there is some incompatibility between the various chipsets/software involved together with the rate of data transfer. This problem seems to show up inconsistently over various platforms and no-one has yet identified the true cause.

Hope this helps.

Bunjo.

7. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

Your experience is not unlike the one in #5 of this thread:
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=121251

Something is marginal in the designs and it shouldn't happen (or there is a bad component). Unfortunately, it does and it is exacerbated by one of the strengths of the PC - the availability of many different vendors and products; this same strength is also responsible for its weakness - too many different vendors of varying degrees of skill and quality assurance.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.