USB Protection

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by atomomega, Sep 21, 2016.

1. atomomega

atomomega Registered Member

So... more than a year has gone since the launch of Windows 10 and I'm still running Autorun Eater on all my machines. I have a few questions for you:
    1: Do you still use any sort of USB-specific protection?
    2: If you do, which one?
    or
    3: If you don't, how do you mitigate the risks of infections through flash drives?

I'm just trying to make up my mind wether to finally pull the plug on Autorun Eater (which has been well abandoned for some time now)

2. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

1: I don't feel the need to. If I plug in an infected flash drive, my computer will only become infected if I manually launch an infected file on the drive. If I was to open an infected file, my antivirus would probably intercept it.
    3: By being careful about what files I run. It's the same approach I take with files I download.

3. Krusty

Krusty Registered Member

If I don't trust a USB flash drive I will not insert it in my machines.

If I received one of these in the mail I would NOT insert it in my machine.

HitmanPro.Alert protects against BadUSB devices (an USB device that pretends to be a keyboard) as well.

If you were still worried you could use VoodooShield or similar, which will stop any payload from running.

4. dbrisendine

dbrisendine Registered Member

MCShield (www.mcshield.net) is a free tool against the USB malware. Check it out; I think you will be impressed.

5. Windows_Security

Windows_Security Registered Member

This is a nice one. Even when application does not run it still applies its protection. It looks like a GUI for internal windows protection options only available for Windows Pro and higher (Business, Ulitimate). So grab it while you can.

USB Disk manager: http://www.syedgakbar.com/projects/usb/

6. Yuki2718

Yuki2718 Registered Member

I tested Clevx DriveSecurity.
    Good: Runs on medium IL. Don't require autorun (it copyes USBListener.exe to temp folder and it monitors USB connection, it also runs on medium IL).
    Bad: No quarantine nor exclusion!! Detect anything encrypted, or at least my own harmless encrypted zip. Expensive.
    I removed it.

7. boredog

boredog Registered Member

do any of these programs install anything on the USB itself? if so I would not use it with my imaged USB stick.

8. quietman

quietman Registered Member

McShield will not touch your USBs in any way ..... use it with confidence :)

9. boredog

boredog Registered Member

I noticed today addguard blocked an autorun on one of my usb"s and I can't even remember what is on it, that is the funny part.

10. Willpower

Willpower Registered Member

Yes I'll second that. Have been using MCShield for a number of years and am "impressed"!

11. ArchiveX

ArchiveX Registered Member

Not for protection; useful USB Tool, however.

USB Device Tree Viewer

Code:
    http://www.uwe-sieber.de/usbtreeview_e.html#download