USB not recognising new hardware device when first connected

Discussion in 'hardware' started by Baldrick, Dec 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Baldrick

Baldrick Registered Member

Hi

Thought I would try my luck here re. the issue I am having under Windows XP Home (SP3) re. USB not recognising new hardware device when first connected to my system.

I have previously installed the relevant USB drivers as requested by the device's manufacturer and then have connected the device according to they instructions provided. However, I do not get the New Hardware Device Detected popup but when I click on the USB icon in the system tray the popup advises me that it is an Unknown device installed.

Funnily enough I have tried the same sequence under Vista and it all installs/is recognised WITHOUT ANY ISSUES.

So I suspect that something XP-related on my PC is causing the problem. Anyone have any ideas or suggestions as to what I can check/try?

Cheers in adavnce. o_O

2. pugmug

pugmug Registered Member

What make/model USB device is it?

3. Baldrick

Hi pugmug

It is a Snooper Sapphire GPS Safety Camera Location System, if that helps!

4. Baldrick

Sorted!

It looks like that new hardware I was trying to use had a problem with connecting with USB 1.1 (I have an old machine). Have tried updating relevant motherboard drivers etc., I bought and installed a USB 2 PCI card (5 ports). When I connected the hardware up via the new ports it was recognised instantly and all is now well.

Morale of the story is check backward compatibility of any new hardware that you buy especially if like me you have an older rig...I should add that I have rechecked the documentation and requirements for the hardware and nowhere does it specify that it is USB 2 only.

:D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.