USB Flash Security 1.3.4

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Pliskin, Jun 20, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pliskin

Pliskin Registered Member

2. HAN

HAN Registered Member

Interesting but it's pretty new. I think I'll let someone else be the guinea pig...

3. MerleOne

MerleOne Registered Member

4. LenC

LenC Registered Member

Portable version of TrueCrypt is fantastic.

5. HAN

HAN Registered Member

I took a look at SafeHouse Explorer. The GUI is indeed very user friendly. But SE fills the registry of the computer it's used on with lots of entries (nothing that, at first glance, appears to cause any protection issues.) Another downside is it isn't "portable" until after you install it on a PC (and then grab the executable.) ("Portable" in this case is in quotes because the executable will run from the flash drive but SE still writes to the registry like a regular program does.)

I doubt I'll use SE with TrueCrypt around but it is arguably easier to set up and use than TrueCrypt is.

6. philby

philby Registered Member

Hello Han

I'm also having a play with SE and trying to get to grips with it.

Just to clarify:

I loaded it straight to stick from here with no install at all.

I've also been able to create and access volumes at work by merely running rather than saving the file in the link, again with no install.

Am I doing something wrong?

Can you tell me where it writes? I couldn't find anything in my reg - but then I probably should be looking in places other than Current User / Local Machine > Software...??

philby

EDIT: OK, found the reg. entries under PC Dynamics...

Last edited: Jun 23, 2009
  7. HAN

HAN Registered Member

Nice catch on the download link! I didn't see it and the documentation didn't mention it (at least I didn't see it.)

I've attached a copy of a portion of my registry search. 269 entries from running the standalone executable (a couple of those are from WinPatrol. ;) ) (The installed version has the same number of entries when you run it. No difference.)

And no, you didn't do anything wrong. It's just the way the program runs. As I said, I don't see anything in the registry that compromises your files. But the program itself is not very stealthy on the PC it runs on...

Attached Files:

8. philby

philby Registered Member

Thanks for that Han

As long as the password isn't retained in any way by the PC after running SH from stick, I'll carry on using it...

I'm not savvy enough to know if the typed password could be retrieved from the swap file or elsewhere, for example, but I'll take that risk as my data isn't exactly life or death stuff and the machines I use are hopefully not hosting keyloggers... :doubt:

Regards

philby

9. DesignSecure

DesignSecure Registered Member

The "portable" version of truecrypt isn't.

It requires administrator rights to use it, which makes its whole "portable" claim a bit of a joke...

10. DesignSecure

DesignSecure Registered Member

Alternativly, give FreeOTFE and FreeOTFE Explorer a go:

http://www.freeotfe.org/

They've been around awhile, are open source (so no problems with backdoors), and the author used to do reviews of disk encryption systems, so certainly should know what she's doing!

11. Pliskin

Pliskin Registered Member

Excellent, thanks for the info.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.