USB Flash Drives

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by EASTER.2010, Mar 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EASTER.2010

EASTER.2010 Guest

I understand that the more you use a USB Flash Drive the more chances it can become to disable itself permanently. I lost one from running programs too often from use.

Any truth to that? I found a Flash drive program that makes it read-only in order to preserve it;s longetiivty.

How true is this Thanks

2. HAN

HAN Registered Member

Yes, apparently they do have a limited number of reads and writes. Seems like I remember reading about numbers quoted in the millions. But no matter the exact number. The issue is that they do not have an unlimited life.

So far, I have been fortunate and not had any failures. But I do back up my main flash drive to another... :)

3. lodore

lodore Registered Member

most usb flash drives have 10 year warrentys so the companys must think they last quite along time
    lodore

4. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

NAND based flash drives are good "for up" to 1 million read/write cycles to any one memory location. This can be countered somewhat by additional chip logic that carries out "wear levelling" i.e. dynamically remapping the blocks in order to spread the write operations equally between sectors.

Regards

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.