USB Flash Drive Vaccinated with Panda USB Vaccine

Discussion in 'malware problems & news' started by TheKid7, Jan 7, 2016.

1. TheKid7

TheKid7 Registered Member

Is it possible for a USB Flash Drive which has been vaccinated with Panda USB Vaccine to be flagged (false positive) by an Antivirus Software (McAfee VirusScan Enterprise) as containing the W32/Conficker.worn.gen.a virus?

It is probably not a false positive, but I am trying to cover all of the possibilities. It is no longer being detected on the USB Flash Drive. I also ran a scan with Emsisoft Emergency Kit and nothing was detected.

Thanks in Advance.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2016
  2. itman

itman Registered Member

Is usually a MBR infection. Which drive did McAfee flag as infected; the USB drive? Also don't know if Panda USB Vaccine protects the MBR?

3. TheKid7

TheKid7 Registered Member

USB Flash drive. McAfee always make reference to the virus being at the location: FlashDriveLetter\RECYCLER\...........

From Panda Security's website:

4. Minimalist

Minimalist Registered Member

I encountered malware that would hide in that location on flash drives. In explorer enable showing of hidden and system files and go to that location (might have to use Run as Administrator option). If you find the file (usually exe file) just delete it. Also empty recycle bin.
    If Panda USB Vaccine protected your drive, you should see no reference to problematic file in Autorun.inf (which should be protected as mentioned in your quote).

5. itman

itman Registered Member

Personally, I would just wipe and reformat the drive rather than take any chances.

6. mick92z

mick92z Registered Member

I think all Panda vaccine does, is put an undeleteable autorun file on the flash drive. Possibly there is still nothing to stop malware planting a worm on the drive, however without it's own autorun file it is not going to automatically execute by exploring the drive

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.