usb external hard disks

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by joejoejoejoe, Feb 14, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. joejoejoejoe

joejoejoejoe Guest

please recommend a usb external hard disk that is known to work well with trueimage 8. thx.

2. John Farrar

John Farrar Registered Member

I have a Freecom 80GB external USB drive which works very well.
    HTH
    John

3. bigbuck

bigbuck Registered Member

Seagate

4. bobbyjak

bobbyjak Registered Member

Maxtor 60gb in a generic usb 2.0 case works for me

5. richrf

richrf Registered Member

Maxtor 80 worked best for me. Had problems with the WD 80.

6. Bill L.

Bill L. Registered Member

Lacie 80Gb usb2 drive works fine here with my desktops & laptops using TI8. It has a WD 80gb inside. Formatted NTFS.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2005
  7. hoser_d

hoser_d Registered Member

Well since I already paid $170 for my WD 160 GB EXT USB drive and all the images I make to it become corrupt, I am not going to purchase another drive, I just expect that the software "issues" gets fixed.

8. Colvin

Colvin Registered Member

I have a WD 80 gig drive in an external USB 2.0 unit and it works perfect for me. However, as I have posted in another thread that is related to USB external drives, I strongly suspect that it isn't the HDD that is the problem, but rather the case/kit that it is in. I tested another brand of external HDD before purchasing my present "Acomdata" w/WD 80 gig HDD that had a Seagate 120 gig HDD in it. And it performed far different than the "Acomdata" unit. There was no corruption of images, but I couldn't do anything in Windows (XP SP-2) with the first unit. I had to first boot with the Boot Disc before I was able to backup images, view images or partition the drive. The "Acomdata" unit allowed me to do all operations within Windows without a hitch.

Since many have used these various brands of HDD's with varying results, but in different "kits", I have to think that there is nothing inherently wrong with the HDD itself, but with the "kits" themselves. I may be off-base, but it does seem reasonable, IMHO.

9. USBdata

USBdata Registered Member

Acomdata USB problem...

About 6 months ago, I was given a 320MB Acomdata USB external hard drive for the purpose of backing up 3 computers in our home. I first tried to install the drive on my main desktop. Everything went as advertised in loading the software until it came time to reboot. The drive was recognized by my computer, but when it come time to setup the pushbutton, the Acomdata logo would come up when the pushbutton was pushed, but then the program failed. I can read and write to the hard drive with no problem. So I used the drive as a manual backup which worked fine, but a slight pain. Forgot to mention I'm running Windows XP Home on the desktop.

About 2 weeks ago I got a new computer, also with Windows XP. I thought I would give the Acomdata another shot at automatic pushbutton backup. Sad to say, I ran into the same problem. Tonight I though I would try to install the program to my laptop to see if it would work there. I've been trying to get in touch with Acomdata tech support, but so far, I haven't reached them. Anyway, the program works great on my laptop. The installation went fine and I got into the setup screen with NO problem (just like the manual says it should be.)

Anyone out there that has or had a similar problem installing the Acomdata program and getting it to work properly?

10. Howard Kaikow

Howard Kaikow Registered Member

Right.

A USB external drive is just an IDE drive in an external case using a "bridge" between USB and IDE.

So, the key elements are the "bridge", the USB adapter (be it on the mobo or a separate card) and the USB drivers.

11. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

The brand/model of the actual hard drive within the external enclosure is unimportant. As Howard says, it's the interaction between the USB Controller, external USB HD enclosure chipset (bridge) and USB drivers that determines whether a particular setup works or doesn't.

For more information on using TI with various external HD enclosures check out these previous threads:

<Who DOES NOT have a problem with corrupt images>

<External USB/Firewire drives that work>

<External Hard Drive Recommendations>

Regards

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.