Usb drive?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by salsamac, Oct 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. salsamac

salsamac Registered Member

Hi I am trying to change drives on a laptop ( 5200 to 7200) and using a usb one touch to store the image of the drive..Can I use a usb drive to restore? I booted from the cd but the usb drive is not seen.
    thanks
    salsa

2. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

If the Recovery CD doesn't recognize your USB drive, then there are no Linux drivers for your hardware on the CD.

Try the acpi=off noapic work around described in the sticky at the top of this forum since it's easy to try. Also try choosing SAFE mode on the Recovery CD because some systems support the USB ports in that mode.

If those fail, the only general solution is to create a Barts PE boot disk with the TI plug-in. The sticky at the top of the forum has links to how to do this.

3. Xpilot

Xpilot Registered Member

It is also necessary to have the USB drive plugged in and running before booting from the CD. Obvious I know but sometimes overlooked.

Xpilot

4. salsamac

Hi thanks for the response; I meant the true image 11 bootable cd .
    I will have a look at the sticky; but think I might have to find two eide to ide converters to get this going.
    Thanks again
    salsa

5. salsamac

Ok I have been reading up on using a usb hard drive to boot and restore.it confuses me a bit; it seems as if you would need a flash drive along with a usb drive and other times it seems as if the usb drive alone will do. I have backups from my other computers on the usb hard drive, it seems that if I use this drive I will lose all the data?
    I used the usb hard drive to backup for restore, my laptop drive. How can I do restore to a blank laptop drive without losing the backup data (and other) data on the usb?
    thanks
    salsa
    btw does it normally take hours to analyze a blank drive?

Last edited: Oct 2, 2007
  6. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

All you need is your USB drive containing the archives (images) and the TI bootable rescue CD. Using the flash drive is a method that some users want to use rather than booting the CD but it results in the same rescue environment being loaded.

Restoring an archive, from a USB drive or elsewhere, is non-destructive. The data is just read from the drive, processed and written to the HD during a restore. You can restore the same archive over and over if you wish.

As you can see, if your hardware is not seen by the rescue CD then you cannot do a restore. You must get this corrected or make a BartPE disk to do the restore. The BartPE disk uses Windows driver and often resolves the lack of adequate device drivers in the TI Linux implementation.

7. salsamac

Thanks for the response. I looked in the bios and it had legacy usb support disabled...even though I was able to save the image to the usb drive..so I'm waitng for ti to finish analyzing the c drive (it's taking hours with a few retrys to read some sectors) then I'll see if it can see the usb drive
    salsa

8. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

It should not take hours and you should not be getting retrys when reading. Stop it and run chkdsk X: /r on ALL of your partitions. Substitute the drive letter of the partition being tested for X in the command above. The /r will check the entire partition structure and will also do a surface check of all sectors in the partition.

9. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello all,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software

To Salsamac

If the USB drive is still not visible even after using acpi=off noapic workaround, please create Acronis Report, Linux system information (sysinfo.txt) and Windows System information as it is described in Acronis Help Post

After that please submit a request for technical support. Attach all the collected files and information to your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the issue appeared and the link to this thread. We will investigate the issue thoroughly and try to provide you with a solution.

Thank you.

--
    Eugene Bogdanov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.