"USB device not accepting new address."

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Tom_ZC, May 29, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tom_ZC

Tom_ZC Registered Member

That's the error message that pops up when I boot to Acronis via the bootable CD.

Do I need to be concerned about this? I have an external USB-based 120 gig hard drive, but I don't plan to use it for any kind of Acronis-based backups. I use the external drive only for copying files to via regular copying. (I copy them with Total Commander {http://www.ghisler.com/}, not that it matters.) For my Acronis-based backups I have a second physical internal drive, a 300 gig one, 190 of which is allocated as my Acronis Safe Zone.

I spent the past few days doing a complete wipe of my computer and then a fresh install of all my programs. Then, without any of my data files on my main hard drive, I did a full system image backup to my Acronis Safe Zone. I did this because I greatly customize software, meaning it takes a long time to install and tinker my apps to how I want them.

The idea is to regularly back up my changeable data from my main hard drive to the external one. And the image on the extra internal drive will lay there in waiting if I need to get my OS & software up and running. I'll still do differential or incremental backups of the data to my Acronis Safe Zone. I'm copying that same data to the external drive.

If you haven't guessed, I really, really, REALLY want to be prepared to recover quickly from any kind of system crash. Should I be concerned about that error message? I wonder because I was not successful in instituting via Norton Ghost the system I describe. That's why I bought Acronis. For some reason with Norton Ghost I was not able to use the extra internal drive D. I always got an error message when NG tested my newly ghosted image. I don't know why, but Norton ghosts to the extra internal drive ALWAYS gave me grief when I tested them. I had no trouble ghosting to DVDs with NG. I even copied one of the DVD ghosts to drive D and ran a test of it, and Norton still squawked.

I'm hoping that the Acronis safe zone is the answer. If Windows or any of my apps gives me grief, I want to just boot to the Acronis bootable CD (or the floppies which I also created) and let it put all my progs back the way I want them, and then I'll have my choice between getting my data files back either via the incremental backups by Acronis or the plain copying I did to my external drive.

Sorry this is so long-winded. I appreciate any feedback on whether I'm on the right track and whether I should be concerned about that USB error message.

I p___ed away a lot of time struggling with NG and am hoping for better results with ATI.

2. Xpilot

Xpilot Registered Member

I would be concerned by that error message. It is one that needs to be answered and solved by Acronis Support since it is a Linux error. You can create your backups from within Windows without Linux being involved so there should be no problem there but I would be worried about any restores viability with that error existing.
    I am a fan of the Secure Zone for regular day to day backups on a separate internal drive. However I would not use it for a permanent store of your baseline system because the backup files are automatically rotated on a FIFO basis as the zone fills up. I suggest you remove the Secure Zone using the TI wizard and recreate your system backups to a folder on the slave drive. These will then be managed on a manual basis and you will be able to keep the base image plus changes without any automatic recycling.
    Restoring from an internal drive is, in my experience, quite a bit faster than from an external drive. The one thing I would suggest that you definitely do is to carry out a complete system restore to a spare hard drive. In this way you will not put your system to any risk at all and you will know for sure that there are no conflicts with your hardware or system customisations.

Xpilot

3. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Hello Tom,

Just a thought but do you have any other USB devices connected at the same time? If so, it could be one of these that's causing the error message rather than your external HD.

Regards

4. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Tom_ZC,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please make sure that you use the latest build of the respective version of Acronis True Image which is available at: http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/support/updates/

To get access to updates you should create an account at:
    http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/my/
    then log in and use your serial number to register your software.

Please make sure also that the bootable rescue media was created with the latest build of the software.

As Menorcaman advised, please detach any USB devices which you don't need in rescue mode.

If that doesn't help, could you please tell us whether Acronis True Image is available for you in rescue mode when you get this error message?

Please clarify whether you have tried to create or restore an image in rescue mode.

Please create Acronis Report and Linux system information (sysinfo.txt) as it is described in Acronis Help Post.

Please create an account, then log in and submit a request for technical support. Attach all the collected files and information to your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with the solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Tatyana Tsyngaeva

5. bVolk

bVolk Registered Member

That's the error I have been seeing while using an incompatible USB HD enclosure.

I bought a different enclosure and the error doesn't show up anymore and the external works fine.

6. Tom_ZC

Tom_ZC Registered Member

Thanks for the follow-up posts. I do have several USB peripheral devices:
    1. a 120 gig external drive
    2. an HP Laserjet 1000 printer (on the computer's end, it's USB, on the printer's end it's parallel).
    3. A Canon 4000 photo printer.
    4. Two 128 MB flash drives that I leave in.
    5. I keep a Palm Tungsten E2 sync cable plugged into a USB port, though usually just the cable is plugged in without the Palm.

I'm not using Linux. Windows XP Professional is the only operating system I'm using. I've not yet tried any kind of system restore. I've only tested the boot floppies and the boot CD to see if they load. They do.

I can unplug all of these USB devices before creating my next Acronis image to its secure zone. Should I also uninstall the printer drivers beforehand? I would think I probably should. When I was using Norton Ghost, any time I ever restored a ghost image to the hard drive, I always had to reinstall both print drivers for some reason.

And, to Acronis tech support, I will register and download the latest updates. Thanks again for everyone's help.

7. bVolk

bVolk Registered Member

Tom,

Let the drivers for USB devices be! And any other drivers as well. Just temporarily disconnect any unneeded USB devices and avoid USB hubs and USB expansion cards. The external should be connected and powered up before booting from Rescue CD.

When you find yourself in rescue environment (after booting from Rescue CD) you are operating in a Linux mini-OS with Linux drivers, copied from Rescue CD to memory at booting time, managing your devices. When you exit TI, the Linux contents are erased from memory and after rebooting you have a clean Windows OS again.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.