USB 2.0 PCI & PC card support

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by jmk94903, Dec 30, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

Some people are reporting very slow imaging or recovery from external USB 2.0 drives. That's probably because the Linux drivers used in the recovery environment for the boot drive are not well matched to the USB chipset on their motherboard.

It seems that installing a PCI USB 2.0 card (or a USB 2.0 PC card on a notebook) might be a good solution if the chipset on the add-on card was well supported by the Linux drivers on the TrueImage recovery CD.

In my experience, Adaptec USB 2.0 PCI and PC cards (NEC chipsets), are fast with the TI version 8 and 9 Recovery CDs.

Has anyone tried this add-on board approach with systems that have "slow" backup or recovery times using the onboard USB 2.0 connectors?

Are the Adaptec cards still fast with TI Home version 10 Recovery CDs?

Which other brands of USB 2.0 PCI and PC cards are fast with the Recovery CD?

Last edited: Dec 30, 2006
  2. tachyon42

tachyon42 Registered Member

I checked the Adaptec website a few months ago and noted that not all Adaptec cards were NEC chipset - so anyone wanting NEC should be careful.
    Agree that NEC chipset is the way to go as it has a rock solid reputation.

3. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

Excellent point! Manufacturers often make changes without fanfare.

Let's close this thread because I started a new thread for the same topic but with a name that I thought might attract more attention:

Speed up TI with USB Drives!

Let's contiune there.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.