US teacher detains student for using Linux

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by Arup, Dec 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Arup

Arup Guest

http://www.vnunet.com/vnunet/news/2232488/teacher-slams-linux

A teacher in Austin, Texas has lashed out against the open-source Linux operating system, punishing one of her students for demonstrating and handing out copies of the HeliOS Linux distribution and writing an email to the distributor claiming the software may be illegal.

Pathetic, hope she wasn't teaching computers. Maybe MS's investment is finally paying off.

2. ambient_88

ambient_88 Registered Member

What a pathetic teacher she is. I know nothing is free in this world, however, saying that Linux is illegal is downright ridiculous. She definitely needs to research more because she doesn't know what she's talking about.

Man, what is happening with our educators these days? I'm not saying all of them are bad, however, I've seen a fair share of terrible teachers, especially in the secondary level.

3. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

That poor penguin just can't catch a break, lol. Off-topic, but I can answer your question about what is happening with teachers. They don't get compensated enough to deal with all the crap that has become normal in our schools, nor do schools receive enough funding to provide their staff with the best tools to do their job. And, because of both situations, schools have become so desperate to get teachers that they aren't doing a good enough job weeding out the nuts and the just plain inadequate.

4. Dark Shadow

Dark Shadow Registered Member

The teacher is a complete moron and obvious she has No clue.what next,The students getting detained for giving out a #2 pencil:rolleyes:

5. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

On a positive note at least there seems to be people out there spreading the open source word. Although the teacher over reacted the issue was clarified and it turned out to be good publicity for linux overall.

6. Meriadoc

Meriadoc Registered Member

What is she talking about?..and that's exactly it, she doesn't know which has made her very ignorant. If she teaches computers then she doesn't know her subject - I hope a few lessons are learnt there and Ken Starks gets an apology.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2008
  7. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,
    Sounds really sad.
    Well, at least it got into the news...
    Mrk

8. snowbound

snowbound Retired Moderator

As already said, not the most positive but it does get linux in the news. I'm sure it will get some folks wondering about it.

snowbound

9. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

10. lodore

lodore Registered Member

i find this quote funny "I am sure if you contacted Microsoft, they would be more than happy to supply you with copies of an older verison of Windows and that way, your computers would actually be of service to those receiving them"

like microsoft would ever give out any version of windows for free. get real.

tbh i would rather their were more freebsd distros aimed for desktops with gui installers,easy installing of all software including all ports and updates to the system.

one thing that annoys me about linux is that is different based distros the locations of files are different.
    plus different update managers,different packages etc. such as .deb for debian based distros,.rpm for redhat based distros etc.

btw at my college a few of my lecurers are stopping us from using laptops in lessons.
    they say the college have spent tons of cash on software for us to use.
    more like wasting cash on upgrading from office 2003 to 2007 lol.
    im glad she doesnt know that yahoo uses a free operating system called freebsd.

11. HAN

HAN Registered Member

I'm glad the teacher doesn't come and see how the multi-million dollar business where I work runs on SUSE. Sounds like we need a real OS instead of this poser...

Seriously, I am shocked about the story. While I don't personally use Linux, I see and understand the value and indeed, the need for it. Open source software helps to keep the paid software on it's toes for price, features and overall innovation.

And I agree as already stated. The she is clearly ignorant and spreading FUD. Which is very sad because she is a teacher...

12. BlueZannetti

13. Arup

Arup Guest

The various flavors of Linux with their differences in implementation is what gives Linux the flavor of life, after all as they say, Variety is indeed the spice of life and in that way, Linux is and never shall be boring, its like polytheism versus monotheism, take your pick.

On the note of the teacher, I am shocked but not surprised having taught in high schools in NYC, I have seen far more ignorance among so called educators, believe it or not.

14. Meriadoc

Meriadoc Registered Member

So all's well that ends well...with a lot of exposure of helios, linux.

15. BlueZannetti

This is a very situational issue. If you are responsible for what I'd call a "production environment" (i.e. you have to get things done on potentially tight timelines), homogeneity in the software base is actually fairly critical - it is basically tied into intrinsic support needs and an ability to cultivate a flexible staff that can be quickly redeployed with minimally short learning curves.
    As a former educator myself, I'd maintain that no profession has a lock on having ignorant practicioners. This is something that's on each individual. The individual chooses to grow or remain stagnant. The professional costs of remaining stagnant clearly vary between professions, but in all areas this is precisely what separates those who excel from those who simply get by, and all too many are satisfied to simply get by in all walks of life.

Blue

16. Arup

Arup Guest

There are standard Enterprise based distros notably RH which remain in corporate environments, their its stability and familiarity over new, for others its exploring newer avenues and freedom to create distros based on one's philosophy reflecting their way of thinking, this is what Linux allows.

As for professions and stagnation, a teacher has the immense responsibility and part to play in the future of the nation, so anything they do will deeply impact the future to come. Stagnation is something that the teaching and medical profession can ill afford.

17. NGRhodes

NGRhodes Registered Member

I wonder how long it will be before someone starts ordering Ubuntu CDs for the school and a batch of 'free' (PUN INTENTED) Tux the Penguin T'shirts :p

18. AKAJohnDoe

AKAJohnDoe Registered Member

Ha Ha! That's a good one!

19. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

If only half the people realized this.. Competition, open standards and so on, everybody wins.

20. Dark Shadow

Dark Shadow Registered Member

Yes,True perhaps my first words towards the teacher wasn't called for,she jumped the gun before doing her home work.I believe here motives where to protect the school and students from any wrong doing or illegal activity.Now she stands corrected and Perhaps this can open the door and Linux will be implemented in the teaching and will expand the knowledge of all platforms around the world.In my area the school districts are running and teaching apple OSX and windows,Now just add linux and unlock the potential.:thumb: Next Time I go to teacher parents confrences, I will bring it up for suggestions and even Demo it on my laptop.perhaps it will raise some eyebrows.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.