US government is now the biggest buyer of malware, Reuters reports

Discussion in 'malware problems & news' started by TheKid7, May 12, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheKid7

TheKid7 Registered Member

US government is now the biggest buyer of malware, Reuters reports:
    http://www.theverge.com/2013/5/10/4...-threatens-cybersecurity-former-officials-say

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/05/10/us-usa-cyberweapons-specialreport-idUSBRE9490EL20130510

2. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

I guess that means they don't know how to write their own... :ninja:

3. guest

guest Guest

Hahaha..., that's somewhat true if we think about it. :D I'm pretty sure that they'll give people lots of the so-called legal excuses. Just hopefully no AV vendors will whitelist those government malware like Norton-FBI. :ninja:

4. SweX

SweX Registered Member

Afaik every vendor do add protection against them. At least I have seen no reports so far that says otherwise. :)

5. guest

guest Guest

Folks at Norton don't think so... :D

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norton_antivirus

6. mirimir

mirimir Registered Member

Most of this stuff uses zero-day exploits, right?

7. Baserk

Baserk Registered Member

Yep, it does. According to the article;
    Let's see how this offensive mindset plays out.
    Like with the current 'online probing' of the main US industrial/energy sector by Iranfrom the Middle East, apparantly looking for potential sabotage targets instead of 'usual' IP theft victims. link.
    (edit: In the Reuters article, Hayden comments on all attacks, not just the linked current affair).

Last edited: May 13, 2013
  8. CloneRanger

CloneRanger Registered Member

So they think it's OK for them, but Everybody else musn't do it :D Oh, & they don't see Any hypocrisy in complaining when they do :D

What a set of dingbats :p

9. J_L

J_L Registered Member

This is just an extension of physical warfare that the U.S. is widely known for, due to their ideals.

10. RJK3

RJK3 Registered Member

That's their attitude to nuclear armaments and biological warfare, so it's no surprise.

11. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

Norton was never great with keyloggers. I don't have any of the samples anymore because they got deleted but a couple of years ago I had 25 keyloggers and loaded them all in a virtual machine with every AV I could get my hands on at the time. Kaspersky got 23 and Outpost Security suite got 22 of them. Nobody else came close, and Norton detected zero.

Again, I no longer have the files and those product versions would be outdated now so you don't have to give me any credibility on that statement if you don't want to. Just sharing what I found at the time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.