US broadband speeds 15 years behind South Korea

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by renegade08, Aug 28, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. renegade08

renegade08 Registered Member

Story

2. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

I've experienced this first-hand, among plenty of other technological advances many parts of the world have over us. As far as military technology, we're still ahead (but no longer a huge leap ahead, that time period passed in the late 1990s), but in the civilian world of technology and science, we are woefully behind and it's quite likely that if we even attempt to catch up with the likes of Japan and South Korea, it will take more than 15 years.

3. 1boss1

1boss1 Registered Member

Good old Australia's average only increased that much in the last 20 years. Having an average speed of 20.4Mbps like Korea would be insane, i couldn't even imagine browsing, watching video and downloading with pipes that big.

I still remember the days of dialing up at 300baud on the C64, and leaving the transfer of a 225kb game to run overnight.

It's a shame though, there seems to be no incentive for telco's to invest in infrastructure when they can cap speeds, overload the exchanges and charge a mint.

4. ASM

ASM Registered Member

True enough... and we are into Fiber-optic in coming years. But the pricing is :(

5. Sully

Sully Registered Member

I talked to a guy in Portland last week who has a 20m up and down pipe I think from Verizon. 20m up, I mean that is a lot of pipe. I can only dream of such a pipe. 8-12m down seems to be average now from what I have seen, although that is cable. DSL still seems to ride a lot of 3-6m pipes, or less.

Sul.

6. The_1337

The_1337 Registered Member

I went from 1 Mb to 5 Mb earlier this year which was amazing, so I'm content with what I have right now. 20 Mb just sounds insane right now.

7. renegade08

Yes, it does seems insane to most of us.

8. renegade08

Speed Matters Publications

http://www.speedmatters.org/content/resources/

2009 Report on Internet Speeds in All 50 States

Story

9. Toby75

Toby75 Registered Member

Yep..that's FiOS:
    http://www22.verizon.com/Residential/FiOSInternet/FiOSvsCable/FiOSvsCable.htm

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.