US Battlenet Account Management blocked

Discussion in 'Prevx Releases' started by Techfox1976, Nov 3, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Techfox1976

Techfox1976 Registered Member

So I go to change some things on my World of Warcraft account and what do I see? "Don't go here, this is a phishing site!"

After double-checking with the Brightcloud Database, sure enough, they list it as a phishing site with a reputation of 10 because "Phishing"...

This is great... Except that it's the legitimate site.

What does this tell me?

This tells me that Brightcloud is getting Phishing information from an unreliable third party or is making huge errors in determining phishing information. While there are a lot of phishes out related to battle.net accounts, blocking the LEGITIMATE site is a huge error. Such a prominent FP lowers trust in the new filtering system and makes me wonder what the heck happened to the Brightcloud team in the past few months to cause such an error.

2. clocks

clocks Registered Member

Today I had false positive on a financial blog I read. Even so, this web filter is working better for me than the old one, that used to cancel my downloads, etc. without warning.

3. PrevxHelp

PrevxHelp Former Prevx Moderator

That is very strange indeed. Could you send me the log line via PM? It will show some additional information as to what caused the classification.

Thanks!

4. Techfox1976

This is the new web filter. I found the Brightcloud.com classification listed the legitimate site as a 10 (Definite block)

I noticed the Brightcloud-based filter doesn't create a main product log entry also.

5. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

In this instance I'd contact Support with the information that the website has been marked as phishing in error.

Incidentally, I have used the Brightcloud toolbar and helped re-classify many sites. When I've done this, I usually get an email back telling me they agree with the suggestion or it goes to something similar. Quite a lot of the time they've gone with what I've submitted.

6. Techfox1976

Already did.
    Got a response saying "We'll forward this to the Brightcloud team, it will probably take them 72 hours to fix. Here is the way to submit it to them directly..."

That was Sunday. Rechecking Tuesday Morning shows that the determ has been corrected.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.