[URL scanning] Any decent Virustotal alternatives?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by m00nbl00d, Oct 20, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

VirusTotal has been down for quite a few hours now. I used the service http://www.downforeveryoneorjustme.com/ to check its status, and it reports as being down, so not an issue on my side.

Anyway, I'm wondering if you folks know of any good valid alternative to VT to scan URLs (to scan files such as docs, exes, etc)? I know of NoVirusThanks.org service, but somewhat limited in its offering, though.

Are you familiar with any other? o_O I'm just looking for alternatives, for those times when VT may be down, just like today... lol

Thank you

Last edited: Oct 20, 2011
  2. kupo

kupo Registered Member

I didn't read the post, lol

Last edited: Oct 20, 2011
  3. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

-http://linkscanner.explabs.com/linkscanner/avg/default.aspx-

4. m00nbl00d

Thank you. I'm familiar with that one. I should have been more specific. I'm talking about scanning URLs pointing to files such as docs, exes, etc...

LinkScanner is more specific for exploits.

Sorry about that. :oops:

-edit-

Basically, instead of downloading the file and then uploading to whatever service, I'd simply supply the URL so that the service fetches the file.

5. m00nbl00d

Well, I found a page from DrWeb that allows to scan URLs. Together with NoVirusThanks.org it's one more eye. :D

-http://online.us.drweb.com/?url=1

6. J_L

J_L Registered Member

URLVoid (also with AV Engines) and IPVoid are not limiting compared to VirusTotal. It's VT that's limiting comparing the sources.

Anubis can help as well.

7. m00nbl00d

I mentioned a service like Virus Total that will fetch the file from the URL, and then give the option to analyze the file with the scanners. Virus Total has 43 scanners.

NoVirusThanks.org only has 9 scanners. Not to mention it takes a hell lot more time to finish a scan, for the same file. o_O

IPvoid only checks IPs, not URLs, and therefore it won't check files.

8. J_L

J_L Registered Member

I thought we're talking about URLs, not downloaded files.

9. pc123

pc123 Registered Member

When VirusTotal doesn't work, like today, or when I want a second opinion, I use Jotti: http://virusscan.jotti.org . It scans submitted files with 20 AV.

Pat

10. m00nbl00d

Yes, I'm aware of such service. But, it's needed to actually download the file(s) first. VT has the advantage of fetching the files in our behalf, and then we can scan them.

I just wish there were more services with the same/better features that VT has.

11. pc123

pc123 Registered Member

Oh I see, I had misunderstood your need. I had never used VT as a URL scanner, I didn't even know it could do that :)

I don't know of another one, sorry.

12. m00nbl00d

Has anyone been experiencing issues with VT lately? Sometimes it works, but many times I get Error 118 (net::ERR_CONNECTION_TIMED_OUT): The operation timed out.. It has been lasting for weeks now.

Quite frustrating, considering that there's no service like VT (not with the same amount of scanners).

13. Ranget

Ranget Registered Member

try virscan and novirusthanks
    i'm one dialup i'm sure if that what are you Looking for
    i'm barely able to open wilderssecurity

14. m00nbl00d

15. guest

guest Guest

16. mrpink

mrpink Registered Member

Virscan was down for a long time if i'm not wrong. And it used to be slow as hell. Maybe the best afterall is Jotti, fewer engines but the good ones, VT is full of low-detection AVs with lots of FPs that confuse you

17. m00nbl00d

Interesting. At this page, you may see that Vcan offers a scanning service that makes use of no less than 24 scanner, but whenever I scan a file, it only scans with 9 (Avast, AVG, Avira AntiVir, ClamAV, Comodo, Emsisoft, F-Prot, Ikarus and TrendMicro). This is weird. I wonder if they no longer have a partnership with those other services and forgot to update their information.

18. Baserk

Baserk Registered Member

They don't provide url scanning but OPSWAT's Metascan is nice also.
    Metascan offers a 16AV scan of max. 40 MB files (instead of 25 at VT) and either there's not much load or a decent server setup because I rarely have to wait long for a scan.
    Engines from avast, avg, ca, clamwin, eset, f-prot, f-secure, k7, kingsoft, mcafee, norman, quickheal, sophos, sunbelt, symantec and virusbuster. link

19. m00nbl00d

I've actually been playing with it for a few weeks now, considering it offers more scanners than NoVirusThanks, and VT has more days that it doesn't work than those that it does, from my experience :( , and it works really fast, as you you pointed.

Hopefully they will implement an URL scanning. I just hope they won't become a victim of their own success, though. :argh:

20. mrpink

mrpink Registered Member

No Avira, Emsisoft/Ikarus, Bitdefender/Gdata, Kaspersky, DrWeb o_O

21. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

22. TheKid7

TheKid7 Registered Member

Dr.Web also has a web browser Addon (Dr.Web LinkChecker).

http://www.freedrweb.com/linkchecker/?lng=en

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.