Urgent help!!!!

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by darkneo, Feb 19, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. darkneo

darkneo Guest

Help, something is up w/ my pc. everything i try to launch something, I get the lil time thingy then nothing. I can see a small window appear only for like a millisecond then nothing. The only programs I can launch is aol and IE. I dont know if its a virus or something. I've checked for viruses but nothing was found. The only way it works is by going into safe-mode and logging in as administrator. Help

2. darkneo

darkneo Guest

3. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Hey darkneo,

I have attached the portion of your pic that is of importance in case there are some not wanting to visit a Guest link....hope you understand.

Having said that....the actual MS wmplayer.exe is located in that folder you are showing....and while there may be a new one out....the virus\worm that has had different variants is usually found in a system folder.

While that's not much help....I'm pondering what could cause that to pop-up but not pop-up while signed on as Admin o_O

Attached Files:

4. darkneo

darkneo Guest

It does that w/ every program I try to run. Like if I try to open let say IE it will show the same lil window for a second but with the IE info

5. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

I don't have the answer but I'm thinking maybe the file association for .EXE (exefile) is messed up so that rather than running a program, it goes through an access confirmation dialog instead.

Have you had (added or removed) any security software recently? I'm thinking script blockers, on-access file scanners or even spyware protection products?

6. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Would you attempt something for me Please. The shortcut icon that you are using to open IE....would you right click with your mouse on the icon....a menu should be presented....select properties and post all of the text that is in the Target box.

Attached Files:

7. darkneo

darkneo Guest

it says the same thing

8. `mishimasan`

`mishimasan` Registered Member

Sounds like a very strange problem. Never seen anything like that before but I hope you get it sorted out soon. Do you have System Restore activated? Maybe an installation or uninstallation of a certain file/files corrupted the way that the OS opens applications. Maybe you should see if you can return to your last saved System Restore location. Other than that, sorry I can't be of any more help. See if you can backup your data now - it's nice to be prepared for the worst.

9. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

Umm...Sometime back, I had a Trojan which replaced my Windows Media Player EXE file...it first infects using I don't-know-what technique and then attempts to replace WMP.

I think this guy is infected with the Bridge or Briss Trojan. That's about all the info I can provide, in my case eScan cleared it out when I ran it in safe mode.

10. darkneo

darkneo Guest

system restore wont go back to that date for some reason. i guess its time to reinstall windows

11. `mishimasan`

`mishimasan` Registered Member

Maybe it is, but you could hang around a little bit longer to see if we can figure out what the problem is so that others can benefit from our results in the future. It's totally up to you.

If you haven't already reformatted your drive, have you tried running different anti-virus software? Like Firecat said, maybe it's a virus that is attacking the .exe files of your common applications. See if online scans work as they seem to be the most up to date with their definitions.

Trend Micro Free Online Virus scan - http://housecall.trendmicro.com/housecall/start_corp.asp

If you plan on reformatting, make sure you run the virus check on the backed up data, because if it is a virus, and it has embedded itself in your backed up data, then it could spread to the newly-installed system...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.