Urgent Help: Trouble Installing TAILS on VMWare Due to Strange Technical Issues

Discussion in 'privacy problems' started by Please Help Me, Dec 19, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Please Help Me

Please Help Me Registered Member

Yesterday, I successfully burned a TAILS' ISO image onto a DVD-R. And then I inserted the DVD-R disc into my computer so that I can run the TAILS' ISO image in a VMWare Virtual Machine. I am currently using Windows 7 Home Edition, so I emulated Windows 7 in my VM. Unfortunately, when I tried to boot my VM with the Tails ISO image the following error appeared (see the screenshot in the attachment file below):

"The virtual machine window is optimized to work in 32 bit color mode but the virtual display is currently set to 24 bit.

Please open the display properties dialog of the guest OS and select a 32 bit color mode, if it is available, for best possible performance of the virtual video subsystem.

Note: Some operating systems, like OS/2, may actually work in 32 bit mode but report it as 24 bit (16 million colors). You may try to select a different color mode to see if this message disappears or you can simply disable the message now if you are sure the required color mode (32 bit) is not avilable in the guest OS"

So my million dollar questions are this:

How do I adjust the settings of my guest OS (which is Windows 7 Home Edition) so that it is in 32-bit color mode? Or how do I adjust the Virtual Machine so that it uses the same color mode as my host OS? More specifically, how would I solve this problem? Should I create a new virtual machine with a different operating system in mind (like Windows XP, Vista, and etc)? Or should I adjust the settings described in that message so that my TAILs ISO Image can be successfully displayed on my Virtual Machine? More importantly how should I adjust my host OS's settings so that they correspond to the settings required by this VM?

I would greatly appreciate help from you guys since I am not a computer expert.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 19, 2012
  2. dantz

dantz Registered Member

Your currently installed OS is not relevant. TAILS is based on debian linux. Try setting your emulation to that.

3. Please Help Me

I've never used Linux before, but I guess I'll have to try it out for the first time. Thank you very much. I will set a debian linux emulation I guess.

Thanks for the advice, but I set my VM's emulation to Debian Linux and the same problem still appeared. I guess I need to change the settings of my guest OS to match that of the VM's although I don't know how to do that.

4. Fox Mulder

Fox Mulder Registered Member

This is almost certainly the problem.

The whole 32 bit color issue is not a show-stopper. It can be completely ignored.

Edit: The guest OS is TAILS, and therefore Debian linux.

The host OS is Windows 7 Home.

So, make sure your guest has Debian selected as the emulation type.

It looks like you mixed up the Guest with the Host, which is no big deal. You can just change the setting with a couple clicks of a drop-down menu.

5. Please Help Me

I changed the guest OS to Debian Linux and the same problem still appears. Strange isn't? So how would I solve the 32 bit color issue?

6. Fox Mulder

Can you try mounting the ISO instead of the DVD? It could be that the DVD isn't burned properly.

7. Please Help Me

How do I do that? Also what might have caused the dvd to not have been burnt properly? Did you see the error on the screenshot attachment? It said there is a problem with the kernal image which is strange.

8. 1st where did you download it? There has been known incidents of MiTM attacks against TOR and TALIS.

Download it from here http://linux.softpedia.com/get/System/Operating-Systems/Linux-Distributions/Tails-27487.shtml It's much faster download too.

2ND burn to DVD and just boot from that, see how it go's.

3RD as others have said you need to set the emulation in VMware to Debian and then boot. I use VirtualBox so I don't know much about VMware, I suggest you take a look at VirtualBox it's free and regularly updated.

9. Fox Mulder

The OP is actually using Virtualbox according to the screenshot, although he called it VMWare in the post.

10. Please Help Me

Thank for the advice. I will implement it tomorrow when I have the time.

11. Please Help Me

How do you know that link works? I downloaded my Tails from the official web site, so what makes you think a download from another website is more reliable? Either way it looks like the most recent version of Tails, so I will try it out. If that doesn't work, then I don't know what do to do then.

12. Downloaded it myself, it works. Softpedia isn't known for dealing out spyware and malware.

13. Just looking at the image you have selected Windows as the operating system. You need to choose Linux then underneath that there should be a box for which version of Linux you want. Choose Debian (Just Debian not 64bit) and boot/follow the prompts to set your RAM settings etc. You should be right then.

14. Please Help Me

I downloaded the Softpedia version of Tails and I was able to successfully burn it onto a DVD and run it inside my Virtual Box. Thank you very much. By the way, if I run Tails off my memory stick, would I still be able to store other files on my memory stick? Can I install my Tails OS within the Hidden Volume of one of my memory sticks? That is the goal I am trying to accomplish. Better yet, how would I run Tails from my encrypted memory stick on Virtual Box? Now that's the final goal I am trying to accomplish.

Tails (within the Hidden Volume of an encrypted memory stick) running inside Virtual Box.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.