urgent help needed setting up a wireless printer

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by iceni60, May 15, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

hi, i told a friend that i'd set up their printer for them on a wireless network. i have never used a wireless network and need some of your help, please as i said i'd do it tomorrow.

at school i set up a printer at least once a week. you plug in the printer to the Parallel Printer Port or if it's a USB into that.

then you use the new hardware setup wizard to install the drivers.

then you calibrate the printer (getting the lines, crosses etc in the correct places)

these are the things that are bothering me:

1, what if the computer they want to set it up on doesn't have admin rights, so it wont let me set it up as it wont have the permission to install software? what do i do?.
    can i go into control userpasswords2 from the run prompt? run>control userpasswords2 and then change it there? will it let me go from restricted user to admin? i'm fairly sure it can be done the other way around, but what about that way?

2, is there anything i need to know about a wireless network?
    i assume as they are on a wireless network that they have set it up so hopefully there shouldn't be any thing for me to do.

i need to check that the NetBios are enabled, is that correct? is there anything else you can think of? thanks.

for me this is urgent as i have said i will do this tomorrow, so if anyone can help me i will be eternally grateful. thanks again :)

2. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

I hope you have luck hooking it up but it is not like setting up a printer on a home computer at all. you need to do a look up on google about it and do a bit of reading. you might start here or here

3. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

thanks BigC i'll do abit of reading for an hour or so. also, i was thinking that i need to turn off the these under the TCP/IP Protocols too, i'm pretty sure that's the right thing to do, does anyone know for sure?

Attached Files:

4. bigc73542

Only the computer that is going to host the printer will need those ticked, but that also depends on the type and make of router they are useing on the network?

5. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

i'm going to go and do some reading now. but, ithere's one more thing - do i need to play around with the netbui protocol? thanks.

6. bigc73542

7. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

well i am going to do some reading right now, but has anyone done this? will the client/server already be set up? or will i need to start to configure client server settings too :(

8. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

9. bigc73542

If everything is set like it is supposed to be set for printer sharing it won't be to hard, that is why you will have to check the network settings on each computer to make sure that they will recognize the printer on the network and are set to share files and printers.

10. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

you'd think they'd make these things easy so you don't have to be into computers to understand how this stuff needs to be setup

11. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

do you mean like the picture i attacted in post #3?

12. bigc73542

That is why there were people like me that had shops that did this stuff for a living so the average person didn't have to know everything about computers and networks and software. :p

13. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

do you feel like coming to London for a few days? :p :D

did you see post# 11?

thanks again BigC you always seem to have the answers when i most need them :cool:

14. bigc73542

I would love to go to London but I just don't have the time. :(

and it will depend on the type of network as to determining if they will need to be ticked. Happy reading.

15. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

will it be obvious to me if i have to setup a dedicate a Wi-Fi equipped computer to act as a printer server or a Wi-Fi equipped printer or print server to your network to control your print jobs.

i suppose the second - a Wi-Fi equipped printer or print server will come with an extra box that setting up a Wi-Fi equipped computer to act as a printer server will not o_O

i can also look at the box that it comes in then look that up on the internet. i think i'm going to go to bed now. i'll give the friend a call in the morning before i go, and see if they can tell me anything beforehand, so i can do a bit of research before i go. ;) thanks for the help. if the internet breaks tomorrow don't blame me, it's their fault for relying on me in the first place.

i would never advertise myself as someone who could do these kind of things, but, it's amazing who quickly people start to call up for help once they realise you like computers :rolleyes:

16. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

thanks again BigC, i'll let you know how it went tomorrow :eek: :'( :cool: :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.