Urgent advice with anti/malware

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by confussedneedshelp, Oct 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. confussedneedshelp

confussedneedshelp Registered Member

Hi everyone.
    I need help and advice on what would it be the best and most trustworthy anti-malware software.
    I don't mind of I need to pay for it... I just need one that really works.
    Many thanks in advance.
    N ;)

2. guest

guest Guest

Uhm... well, we're not allowed to discuss about which is the best AV here. There are many reliable sources where you can read the test results of many AV software to decide what to use. ;)

3. micafighter

micafighter Registered Member

I suggest to look at tests made by big magazines, like pcword, or pcmag. "Independent test lab" results might worth a look too, but don't take them as a blueprint, because they often don't reflect the antivirus produts performance in real life. Also stay away from youtube vids, cause they usually don't test every aspect of an AV product.

4. TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami Registered Member

5. AlexC

AlexC Registered Member

Always having in mind that no antivirus can protect against everything, If i were looking for the best and the most trustworthy i would go for Kaspersky.

Kaspersky has proven to be solid and top-notch through the years, and sometimes the company discovers and come public with advanced new threats that were previously unknown (for instance, the Flame malware). Also it's not expensive.

6. justenough

justenough Registered Member

If this is indeed urgent, then install a good quality free AV like Avast, Avira, or Panda. Put on free versions of Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and Hitman Pro. Then start doing some research, here at Wilders and places like Gizmo's that TOMxEU linked to. Another place you could look is MajorGeeks: http://www.majorgeeks.com/

There is no best. There are lots of ways to combine different security programs to give you superior protection. As worded your question can't be answered in any meaningful way. It depends on how you use the computer, your other software, and your knowledge level.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2013
  7. fax

fax Registered Member

Just look at AV-TEST.org and/or AV-comparatives.org and choose the preferred one... any with certification is good to go. Its not about choosing the best but about choosing a solution that you feel confortable with and that runs well on the system. Don't pile up security tools one over the other, just choose one that you are able to master.

8. Frank the Perv

Frank the Perv Banned

This.

All of the AV/AMs wax and wane in effectiveness as measured in independent testing -- except Kaspersky. Kaspersky just stays at the top -- for over a decade. Some have other issues with it though..

And this.

If you have a current difficult infection, you may want to look at the best tools and/or AVs for removal. MBAM has a good removal reputation.

9. Hermescomputers

Hermescomputers Registered Member

Antivirus products, are all things being equal pretty much all the same. The one thing they all share in common is that they all fail more or less equally at protecting any of the operating systems for which they where designed...

In order to circumvent this problem I developed a methodology, which prove to be highly successful in my own practice. I will try and elaborate in as few words as possible while remaining clear.

- First chose any A.V. product of your liking...
    - Second, inspect every autostarted application and initially consider them all with an equal amount of suspicion.
    - Next similarly inspect each and every process live in memory.

The general idea is to identify and authenticate each process as much as possible.
    You will need to do this at regular intervals or whenever you suspect an infiltration occurred.

This method is effective at finding pretty much everything that falls through the cracks of your installed protection...

To make this process simple I developed my own tool, and made it available with most basic features free...

You can read more about it here: http://hermes-computers.ca/apais_1.php

I recognize that this is a semi manual and rather time intensive process. However it works and will greatly enhance any selected antivirus provided protection as long as you are willing to do the work required...

Guy Deschênes

Last edited: Oct 10, 2013
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.