Upon install - Service 'ESET' service' (ekrn) failed to start.

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by petef, Nov 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. petef

petef Registered Member

Ok, i just cleaned this PC of a virus named "smart engine" which had deleted all the NOD32 program files. I ran the EsetUnistaller in safe mode but now upon installing NOD32, I'm getting the "Service 'ESET' service' (ekrn) failed to start" error message which also says I don't have sufficient privileges to start the service.

I don't know exactly which Eset product (NOD32 or ESS) my customer had previously installed but both were listed and removed using the EsetUnstaller. I'm now trying to install using an installer for NOD32 v4 Trial.

Need advise.

---pete---

2. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

3. petef

petef Registered Member

All is Ok now. I posted too soon. After initially posting, I ran SuperAntiSpyware which found many items in the registry. Once I cleaned them, NOD32 trial version installed just fine. I updated to the full NOD32 version using the User ID and PW suppled to me by the customer and all seems well now.

My bad, for not doing a thorough cleaning before attempting to re-install NOD32.

Hopefully this thread will help someone else.

---pete---

4. petef

petef Registered Member

One more update:
    After installing NOD32 as described in the previous post, I rebooted and then NOD32 would not startup automatically. When I clicked the icon for NOD32 I received a message saying somthing about that the program being restricted and to contact the administrator.

I removed the hard drive, and scanned it with SuperAntiSpyware and NOD32 as a secondary drive in another computer where SAS found 1 item.

I reinstalled the hard drive and same problem existed where NOD32 would not startup automatically or run.

I then ran the 2 SAS repairs to remove restrictions from IE and Explorer. I also ran the repair to reset Desktop components. I rebooted and now NOD32 starts up automatically and runs when I click the Icon.

I'm currently running the NOD32 and SAS full scan and so far 1.3 hrs into the scan, SAS found 1 trojan file. I'm assuming that this will finally clean the computer, but I will repeat all my scans (MalwareBytes, SAS, and NOD32) until they all come up with nothing found.

Sheeeeeeeeew, it's been a long day working on this computer. These viruses are getting harder and harder to deal with. I must say, this is the first time a I've encountered a computer with NOD32 installed that was so hard to clean. Usually, if one gets past NOD32 the damage is very limited and easy to clean. Not this time!

---pete---

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.