UPNP service....is gone!

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by HandsOff, Jul 25, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HandsOff

HandsOff Registered Member

I don't know how I managed this one. Every so often I run WWDC (windows worm door closer) just to be sure that the doors are still closed. This time WWDC said it could not access the entry in the registry for UPNP (universal plug and play)

Well, never send a boy to do a man's job, I thought. So I went to services.msc to verify that at least the service was disabled.

It was...Gone! Any thoughts on this one?

The diciest thing I've done lately was to delete and uninstall some Microsoft and Sun JAVA stuff that I thought was obsolete.

-HandsOff

Attached Files:

• upnp.jpg
      upnp.jpg
      File size:
      10.8 KB
      Views:
  2. TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami Registered Member

When it is gone, it better than to have it disabled, but I know this problem.
    When I disable MSN and then I run WWDC, I get the same message. Try this:

Start - run - regedit - HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services

Right click on "Services" - New - Key - upnphost - OK - Run WWDC and disable UPNP.

3. HandsOff

HandsOff Registered Member

Wow, I am impressed!

I did not think I would have much chance that this post would make sense to anyone. I will do as you suggest and let you know how it works out.

It seems to me that I have had some other mysterious WWDC messeges in the past, and possible side effects as well. I value it's protection, I just wish I understood it better!

-HandsOff!

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Okay, I followed the recipe, and everything turned out fine, except that in WWDC the disabling UPNP encompasses disabling the SSDP discovery service as well. Wouldn't you know the SSDP Discovery Service is also missing!

However, after rebooting all of the flags are green in WWDC, so that is good.

I see a new value was added in upnphost in the registry...

In services.msc, neither UPNP nor SSDP are listed...anyway so far everything seems to work. Seems good! Thanks again!

Last edited: Jul 30, 2006
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.