UpNP Causing NOD32 Icons to disappear

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 1 Forum' started by f_disk, Nov 22, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. f_disk

f_disk Guest

Yesterday I was experimenting with Remote Access and had to use Gibsons UpNP tool to turn my UpNP back on. I did this on 5 machines. All 5 have NOD32 on them. Two of those machines kept losing icons of which NOD32 was some of the icons. I believe the CC icon and Mail icon were the ones that kept disappearing. I rebooted those machines 5-10 times and they would not come back on the taskbar! I turned UpNP back off and the icon problem went away..............anyone know why this would have happened?

2. Paul Wilders

Paul Wilders Administrator

f_disk,

Obviously this is UpNP related, rather than NOD32 related. Could well be there's a compability issue as a result from the UpNP design, since it did happen in regard to icons from other software as well.

regards.

paul

3. f_disk

f_disk Guest

Yeah, I know. Just strange, but by its very design, UpNP communicates behind the scenes and kinda does its own thing. Disabling icons is weird...........appears to be doing something to services too since the CC icon was gone, and correct me if I'm wrong, but that particular part of NOD32 runs as a serviceo_Oo_Oo_O?

4. Paul Wilders

f_disk,

I presume you did check if - in spite of the icons dissappearing - the AMON etc still was up and running?

regards.

paul

5. f_disk

f_disk Guest

No, it was NOT running. Nor was the email scanner and control center. Clicking on their individual executables from within the programs menu did not launch them either.....that's why I'm wondering what exactly UpNP is doing to services?

6. Paul Wilders

That's serious - and dangerous - stuff.

Quite so. The designer is the first one to answer that question for sure. I for one would avoid using this one for obvious reasons.

regards.

paul

7. linney

linney Registered Member

Did you check what services Universal Plug and Play Device Host is dependent upon? On my machine it is dependent upon SSDP Discovery Service. Was SSDP running?

8. f_disk

f_disk Guest

Yes and yes.

9. swisscoms

swisscoms Registered Member

I have had NOD32 on my system here for 2 weeks now, and notice that after the Windows player is shut down, or sometimes after downloading, it appears the Desktop Page refreshses and ALL my NOD32 icons dissapear too. All my other icons are still on the taskbar though. I was unable to open the programme. I went to F-Secure's site and did try to download their Eicar test file, and AMON did kick in fine. The only way to get the icons back is to reboot. I am using ME. Ideas anyone?

10. jan

jan Former Eset Moderator

Hey swisscoms,

it has been fixed in new NOD version - it happens when the Explorer crashes - anyway, the application is still running in the background even if there is no icon visible. In normal cases it's enough to restart the app. from the Start menu after its icon disappearance to make the icon visible again.

Thx. for posting, :)

jan

11. f_disk

f_disk Guest

Except in my instances where UPnP had made my icons disappear................they were NOT running behind the scenes as verified through task manager. NOD32 was completely shut down. I've since disable UPnP and the problem went away...............also would like to reiterate, this happened on 3 of my machines.

12. jan

Hi f_disk,
    what OSs are on those machines?

jan

13. f_disk

f_disk Guest

XP Home on all of them.

14. jan

Have you checked also the services and drivers? Amon runs under XP as a driver and Control Center as a service.

rgds, :)

jan

15. f_disk

f_disk Guest

I only checked Task Manager when it happend in all instances.......NOD32 was SHUT DOWN on all tested machines.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On another note:

It has been several weeks since and UPnP is NOW disabled and the NOD32 problem is rectified. However, my renewal time is due and I purchased a NAV2003 product......IF / WHENEVER NOD32 releases it's new product, I may consider buying it.

OVER a year ago, Larry McJannet (VP for NOD32 USA) told me (personall on the phone) the multiple icon thing was going away "soon" meaning a couple of weeks to months and that there would be one icon. I have waited a year for it..............still nothing. When version 2 comes out, I'll take another look.

16. swisscoms

swisscoms Registered Member

Thank you for the info Jan! I am looking forward to the new NOD waiting in the wings. Any release date yet?.....

17. f_disk

f_disk Guest

Nope, no release date. You'll get the standard response here on that....................when it's ready, it'll be released. I think that goes without saying..........but when a company officer states to you that a new release is forthcoming "soon" and it's been over a year, then that's not right.

Granted NOD32 in its current form is totally fine and still outperforms the competition, it is WAY overdue for a makeover.....the THREE icon thing has always irked me! As if I don't have enough things in the taskbar already, now I have ONE program placing THREE icons there!

18. f_disk

f_disk Guest

AND PLEASE, before everyone starts flaming me......I have renewed my NOD32 license for another year. I have taken off the new NAV that I paid a LOT of money for and sucked up the cost. NOD32 is the way to go...............just hurry the F&@! up and get the new version out!

19. jan

THERE IS ONE ICON in new version - I've already seen it :D . I know some people have been told it will be released sooner - but we don't want to strictly keep the exact date and launch a version which would have too many bugs - sorry for that - that version is based mainly on YOURS (user's) feedback (we have chosen what we found reasonable too) - and we want to make YOU more satisfied. I have been told that beginning of the next year could be a reasonable date for the release - pls. be patient - it can repay - the Nod32 v.2 for a workstation will be a free update :)

rgds,

jan

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.