Upgrading to IE9?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Birdman, Jan 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Birdman

Birdman Registered Member

Can someone please tell me where to find the latest version/release of IE9 (for Win 7 x64)? For Ad Muncher to work properly....would I need the 32-bit or 64-bit of IE(?

Also is it best to install it over IE8?

Thanks

2. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

3. Noob

Noob Registered Member

Been using it as my secondary browser since BETA was released, for me it feels like a release version.
    Haven't experienced any slowdowns/bugs. :)

4. cgeek

cgeek Registered Member

Haven't had any issues here either. You can install over ie8. I suggest to run windows update after the intial reboot from installing. There were some performance updates. Dunno why they didn't update the installer instead? Anyways, I'm eagerly anticipating the final release since this will probably be my main browser. :thumb:

5. 3GUSER

3GUSER Registered Member

IE 9 Release candiate (RC) will be available at the end of this month.

6. Matthijs5nl

Matthijs5nl Guest

I have been using the beta since it was released, and I have never regret it.

You can just download via : http://windows.microsoft.com/ie9

When you have a 64-bit operating system, you will have to install the 64-bit Windows 7 version. That 64-bit version will automatically upgrade both your 32-bit and 64-bit edition of IE8 to IE9 beta.

However it is hard to say whether your apps will all be compatible with IE9. Personally I have never experienced issues.

7. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

When I tried the beta, I noticed that when on Wilders, when I clicked the View First Unread link it doesn't take me to the right place. It's as if it's not getting updated every time I visit etc. Works ok in all other browsers including IE8, but IE9 seems broken on that.

8. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

I'm pretty sure I can wait until MS update me. ;)

9. 3inchblue

3inchblue Registered Member

Same here - IE 9 beta on windows 7 x64 is working flawlessly.
    Nice version since it seems quick and without issues.

10. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Yeah, I'll wait for final....

11. Halffull

Halffull Registered Member

How does IE9 compare with chrome and firefox?

I gave firefox 4 beta and test run and it seems to be a straight up copy of chrome.

I had to roll back because a lot of my plugins were not compatible with firefox 4.

It seems that chrome ahs set a new standard and IE and firefox [and indeed the other browsers] may be playing catchup

12. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

I like IE9 x64 because it's overall pretty clean, and it seems faster than most of the 32 bit browsers.... with the exception of Chrome perhaps. But overall IE9 x64 is nice...

13. Birdman

Thanks to everyone who helped. I just installed IE9 Beta and it's purring like a kitten on steroids. Definite improvement over IE8.

One question though....is it possible to get the "favorites" menu displayed on the toolbar (instead of clicking on the yellow star to bring it up on the side panel)?

14. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

Right-click some empty space to the right of a tab and click "Favourites Bar".

From there you can make it look even better by right-clicking one of your favourites on the bar, going to "Customize Title Widths" and selecting "Icons Only".

15. Victek

Victek Registered Member

The default GUI of Firefox 4 is similar to chrome, but that is trivial. The strength of Firefox has always been the ability to customize and extend it. It can look like Chrome, or not as you wish. More important is what's going on "under the hood". All the major browser developers are pushing to make the software faster and more secure. They keep taking turns pushing to the front and I don't think you can lose by choosing any one of the major players.

Regarding Firefox betas and plugins it is always the case that some are incompatible. Many plugin developers release compatible versions after the beta goes "final". For this and other reasons the Firefox 4 beta does not replace the stable release (3.6.13?) and you can use them side by side if you wish.

16. elapsed

It's more like Opera than Chrome.

17. drhu22

drhu22 Registered Member

Anyone know if it works with Geswall?

18. Birdman

Had to restore to a previous image w/ IE8.

A bunch of sites were not loading or displaying properly with IE9. Hopefully these issues will be ironed out when IE9 goes Final.

19. elapsed

Thats what compatibility view is for.

20. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

My experiences with IE9 is that I had to enter several times before it would navigated to the desired website

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.