Upgrading to IE8

Discussion in 'SpywareBlaster & Other Forum' started by Howard Torbiner, May 14, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Howard Torbiner

Howard Torbiner Registered Member

I am currently running Spywareblaster 4.2 under IE7 and Win XP sp2. When I install IE8 should I disable all protection in Spywareblaster or de-install it completely?

Thanks,
    HT

2. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Hello Howard,

I installed IE8 using SP3 without disabling or unistalling SpywareBlaster and seem no worse for the wear.

I suppose you could disable SpywareBlaster's protection but an uninstall doesn't seem necessary.

3. crofttk

crofttk Registered Member

I think that's a very good question. After installing IE8 and then SWB 4.2, I found IE8 startup slowed down quite a bit. Some of this was, I think, related to other security software I use.

Where I ended up was disabling some of the restricted sites protection ( per this post 4 of this thread: https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=240775&highlight=spywareblaster ). I'll say thank you here to ssj100 for posting that.:thumb:

I got a surprisingly good improvement in IE8 startup time out of that fix.

Although I prefer to have all SWB protection enabled, I will hold off renewing autoupdate and monitor for a resolution of what looks like a bit of inconvenience for me and the way I layer security products.

I guess my point, as regards your question, is that you may or may not have complications after installing IE8, BUT everyone's load and requirements are different. I did NOT disable any SWB protection for the IE8 install and it all went without a hitch. How well SWB 4.2 with fully enabled protection will work with IE8 is a question I think has to be found out on a case-by-case basis.

Maybe if you have a good backup you can just give it a whirl and see!

Then again, certainly standby for more members' more opinions.;)

Good Luck.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.