Upgrading to IE8

Discussion in 'SpywareBlaster & Other Forum' started by Howard Torbiner, May 14, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Howard Torbiner

Howard Torbiner Registered Member

I am currently running Spywareblaster 4.2 under IE7 and Win XP sp2. When I install IE8 should I disable all protection in Spywareblaster or de-install it completely?

Thanks,
    HT

2. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Hello Howard,

I installed IE8 using SP3 without disabling or unistalling SpywareBlaster and seem no worse for the wear.

I suppose you could disable SpywareBlaster's protection but an uninstall doesn't seem necessary.

3. crofttk

crofttk Registered Member

I think that's a very good question. After installing IE8 and then SWB 4.2, I found IE8 startup slowed down quite a bit. Some of this was, I think, related to other security software I use.

Where I ended up was disabling some of the restricted sites protection ( per this post 4 of this thread: https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=240775&highlight=spywareblaster ). I'll say thank you here to ssj100 for posting that.:thumb:

I got a surprisingly good improvement in IE8 startup time out of that fix.

Although I prefer to have all SWB protection enabled, I will hold off renewing autoupdate and monitor for a resolution of what looks like a bit of inconvenience for me and the way I layer security products.

I guess my point, as regards your question, is that you may or may not have complications after installing IE8, BUT everyone's load and requirements are different. I did NOT disable any SWB protection for the IE8 install and it all went without a hitch. How well SWB 4.2 with fully enabled protection will work with IE8 is a question I think has to be found out on a case-by-case basis.

Maybe if you have a good backup you can just give it a whirl and see!

Then again, certainly standby for more members' more opinions.;)

Good Luck.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.