Upgrading to an SSD Drive

Discussion in 'hardware' started by 1boss1, Jan 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 1boss1

1boss1 Registered Member

Switching out drives is something i know nothing about, and when it comes to SSD's i know even less. To sum it up, the more i research the more confusing things become.

I've read things about images being out of alignment when copied over from a regular HDD, which means the SSD will only be half speed. Then there's verbiage such as "TRIM" and "AHCI" along with Flashing Firmware, Toolboxes, Drivers etc.

Did i make a mistake buying this thing? :eek:

I bought this:
    In my PC now i have:
    The plan is to image the system which is Win7 Ultimate, copy it to the SDD Drive so everything works without reformatting and basically hit the ground running with as little downtime as possible. Also desirable is to make the current 1TB drive a spare internal one as file storage, however that's not important.

Has anyone done this process, or does anyone know of a tutorial that's straightforward?

I'm quite happy to buy whatever software tools required to do this painlessly. After many hours researching, i've read so much conflicting info i think i'm "dumber" now than when i started.

Thanks for any insight. :argh:

2. 1boss1

1boss1 Registered Member

Disregard this, 5 days that were nothing short of a nightmare and system hosed. :thumbd:

3. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Hmmm... how much the SSD costs?

BTW I have no idea how you can do this. Sorry!

4. guest

guest Guest

I saw your posting but unfortunately I never did this clone thing myself (only read that it is of course possible) as I always prefer installing things from scratch and never 'migrate' not even if this is the same OS. - I wonder how it ends if you trust software to actually migrate between OS (like XP and 7) but not so much that I would try it. - For me it's always better to spend some days installing things one at a time again and leaving software behind that I didn't need anyway. -> Fresh system feels quite sexy you know? :D

Did you try a fresh install or don't you get your SSD running at all so far? Sorry for your bad experience with this. :doubt:

5. 1boss1

1boss1 Registered Member

Converting it from AU it was $565.53US however if you were in the US it would only cost $455 on Newegg.

No i had never done this before, and wouldn't attempt it ever again either. I assumed it would be easy considering all hardware was the same, and only the disk was different.

It was critical there was no downtime, i work online and normally work 24 hours straight and sleep 8 so reinstalling the OS and all programs from scratch would of thrown a massive spanner in the works.. and it happened.

But yes i agree, a fresh install is most definitely best but the PC was only 6 weeks old with Win7 installed fresh when i bought it so essentially i'd just gotten it perfect.

Anyhow lesson learned, i knew i shouldn't of attempted it after reading so much conflicting info on how it should be done. :(

6. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

Yes, Windows 7 should be installed fresh on SSD's, it has different setup defaults when it detects an SSD as the primary drive. Sorry, I didn't see this earlier.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.