Upgrading that old PC? Options will surprise you

Discussion in 'hardware' started by JRViejo, Jan 19, 2015.

1. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

2. Wroll

Wroll Registered Member

What's so ancient about a 4 years old PC? Today we have lower power consumption and 20-30% faster GPU/CPU (maybe more on the GPU side). So if you're not a gamer or have high electricity bills, you won't need a new PC if you got yours in 2010.

3. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

I don't ever see myself buying a new computer again, it seems like a waste of money. I've only ever purchased one new laptop, and all my others have been cheap purchases (of quality brands) from eBay. My current main laptop is 8 years old, and runs Windows 10 quite well. I've got a slightly newer laptop which I'm going to start using soon to replace it. When it's time to upgrade, I'll find a slightly newer used one on eBay to replace it with.

As @Wroll if you aren't a gamer, there's not much need to upgrade.

4. Veeshush

Veeshush Registered Member

That guy must have never built his own PC.

This ^

It's all a matter of the https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CPU_socket and how much you've maxed out what it can take as far as CPU/RAM/GPU/etc. I have a few rigs that are over 12 years old and still work fine for what I use them for. And if you're only doing web surfing and video watching, a lot of times any system with a PCI-E slot is good enough, so then you only have to stick in a modern GPU which offloads the video workload from the CPU.

Not even gaming rigs are "outdated" by 4 years, or even 7 years, depending on the game's system requirements and how much you're willing to shell out for FPS rate.

Power efficiency even is misleading on how much wattage computers actually use. Old rigs from the 90s and early 2000s only chewed up 60-100 some watts depending. More modern rigs can chew up to 200 or higher if you're playing a game, but most time when they idle they downclock and down volt- so there's actually very little wasted. The only time the electric cost adds up is in office environments where there's a few hundred or thousand PCs and monitors running. So again, less you're off the grid on solar/wind, you'd be better off buying LED lightbulbs to save money before buying a new computer.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.