Upgrading NOD

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by Ohdarn, Apr 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ohdarn

Ohdarn Registered Member

Hello,

First I want to say I am new to NOD and still in 30 day trial. Before I decided on NOD I tested it in an old machine along with other products.

Then when I decided I liked it I put it in my computers and others as well. Going to purchase many licenses.

Here are my questions. When I first tested the product I was at Release 4.0.x and then when I actually installed it in my real machine I found the install was 4.2.35.0. That was only two weeks ago. Now I am seeing that there is even another higher release number.

How often am I gong to have to do a program update?

Also do I have to uninstall and reinstall NOD every time the program gets updated?

I really do not want to be uninstalling and reinstalling constantly as I just do not have the time for that. NOD should allow an in place update as long as you don't change major versions.

Thanks

Last edited: Apr 13, 2010
  2. doktornotor

doktornotor Registered Member

Pretty much never, they don't force you. They rarely issue a PCU which can do automatic upgrade if you enabled that in configuration.

No, you don't have to uninstall anything, not even b/w major versions (3.0.xxx -> 4.0.xxx no uninstall was required).

Edit: Also, for "many licenses", you'd be better off buying the business version and maintaining that centrally via ERAC.

3. Ohdarn

Ohdarn Registered Member

Thanks for the reply, I just want to get correct with this. I have read the entire manual but may have missed something as I am at a very busy time at one of my jobs that closes this week for the summer. Anyway I just want to understand, to do a program update did I miss something in the manual.

Do I have to download the installer from the website and install it over the current product or can I update from within the program itself manually at my choosing?

Also when doing an update however it has to be done, do all of my custom changes such as special schedules and web filtering all remain in tact?

One last thing, it appears you have been with NOD for a while, how often do you suggest to do a product update?

By the way the reason I am not going business is all licenses are not for me. I do a lot of work for other people and we are all moving away from the current program I suggested years ago. When I say many licenses it will be for more than one location for several people not all on the same network so Central Management is not an option. No more than 4 licenses in any one location. When I suggest changing products everyone usually follows. So far I am more than happy with the product compared to the old product and the other 9 I pitted it against during a three week test run.

Thanks

4. doktornotor

doktornotor Registered Member

Yes...

No, not beyond released PCUs (very rare).

Yes.

Shrug; I update all the time. :D In corporate environment, it's of course a different story. Also, they release changelogs with every update, read that and decide for yourself.

5. Ohdarn

Ohdarn Registered Member

Thanks again,
    I did read the last change log, what I did with the last program was, if I was not having any issues I did not upgrade unless I saw something in a change log I wanted that did not exist before or fixed an issue we were having. At one location I worked there were 4 computers with three different versions of the same software.

Shoot one program I use at home I still run a six year old version because 5 years ago they made a change I did not like and the old version I started with on Windows 98 still works even on Windows 7. One thing of note on this thought the program I am speaking about is not a security program.

6. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

I upgraded to 4.2.40 from 4.0.424 today and everything is good so far . I did a clean install this time.

7. winchester73

winchester73 Registered Member

Somewhere along Tobacco Road, North Carolina
    I chose to install over 4.0.424, and everything is as it should be :D

8. buckZor

buckZor Registered Member

The ESET knowledgebase clearly states that you should UN-INSTALL prior to upgrading to a new version. Why are you guys saying we don't have to?

The uninstalling and losing my config every time is really driving me away from NOD. Please advise, I use business edition, on several PCs that I support, but not in a business environment, so I can't use the ERAC.

I would LOVE to be able to just run the new installer and next -> next -> finish through it. :blink:

9. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Probably the only reasons for uninstalling the previous version I can think of are a reset of current settings and reload of drivers. One might have set something wrong (e.g. firewall rules in ESS) which subsequently resulted in certain communication problems. Reinstallation over the previous version would preserve the rules and thus might give an impression that it does not address the given issue. Another problem stemming from reinstallation could be that new drivers will not be loaded until the next computer restart. Leaving the system in a state when a new version with old drivers is installed for a long time is not a good idea.
    If you're not having problems with current settings and are planning to restart the system within the next few hours, it should be ok to do just an installation over the previous version. You can also export your settings, do a clean installation and eventually import the original settings.

10. buckZor

Where can I find out how to export / import settings?

11. Rmuffler

Rmuffler Former Eset Moderator

12. buckZor

Great! Thank you so much!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.