Upgrading NAV within outdated Systemworks?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Huwge, Oct 5, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Huwge

Huwge Guest

Hi all,
    Long time reader, just not got around to registering.
    I am running Systemowrks 2001 on a Win98se machine. Incoperated withing Sysytemworks is Nortons Antivirus. My subscription just ran out. The only option it gives me is to upgrade to NAV2005. Is this going to work as my AV is withing Systemworks 2001?.

Can I run another AV like NOD without conflict if I just disable the AV withing Systemworks?

Thanks in advance

Huwge

2. nod32_9

nod32_9 Guest

Remove SystemWorks, reboot, remove LiveUpdate, reboot, remove LiveReg, reboot. Search your hard drive for Norton, Symantec, LiveUpdate, LiveReg, and SystemWorks. Remove these folders. Reload SystemWorks 2001.

It may be possible to have two AVs in your PC if only one AV is active during PC boot. It's best to remove NAV before you add another AV software to your system.

3. JimIT

JimIT Registered Member

I would determine which AV you want to use--NAV 2005, NOD32, or whatever. Then I would disconnect from the internet, UNinstall NSW, install your new AV, and then re-install NSW2001 as a Custom install and making sure NAV2001 isn't selected to be reinstalled. Hit the net and update everything when that's done.

4. mistycat

mistycat Registered Member

I don't know if this will help but here goes. Recently, I was trialling NAV 2005 and then installed NSW 2003{ Utilities only} normally { Typical, I think}. I had not had it installed on this install of Windows. NAV 2005 appeared within NSW 2003 with the icon for NAV 2005 remaining on my desktop with both functioning perfectly. I, also, previously had NAV 2003 installed within NSW and with NAV disabled, ran another AV with no problems noticed.

5. Paranoid2000

Paranoid2000 Registered Member

I was in a similar position with Norton SystemWorks 2001 and (a free copy of) Norton Antivirus 2002. Just uninstall Norton Antivirus 2001 and Antivirus 2005 should work - it will alter your Norton SystemWorks screen (updating the graphics) but should not otherwise affect the other components.

However a better option (in my view) would be to uninstall/reinstall the Antivirus 2001 component. It's been my experience that this resets the subscription counter, giving you access to updates for another year. In contrast AntiVirus 2005 has Product Activation (presumably to stop this) and the (doubtless well-deserved) reputation for being a real system/resource hog.

Removing Norton Antivirus and using an AV scanner from another company should also work and this is likely to be the best option overall. Symantec did make good products once upon a time, but since 2000 or so, they appear to have been resting on their laurels and letting everyone else pass them by.

You may also find Total Uninstall a worthy replacement for Norton CleanSweep's Smart Sweep install monitor (it can monitor Windows Registry changes which Smart Sweep cannot - and it doesn't crash if too many files get added).

6. JimIT

JimIT Registered Member

While that's certainly been true in the past, the level of protection from NAV 2001 isn't up to snuff with more current AV's, IMO.

Besides that, the ethical issue of circumventing a fee-based subscription service bear consideration, as well.

7. Paranoid2000

Paranoid2000 Registered Member

NAV 2001 offered background, on demand and email scanning - NAV 2002's only advantage was that it could reconfigure email clients automatically to work with its proxy. What extra features does NAV 2005 offer that justify its increased resource utilisation?
    A good point - but given that an upgrade to NAV 2005 is apparently the only option offered (you could previously stick with your current version and just pay for signature updates for a further year), I'd be somewhat less sympathetic to Symantec. However there are plenty of other AV companies deserving financial support instead - and a couple of free alternatives too.

8. nod32_9

nod32_9 Guest

NAV's heuristic mode is not very impressive. NAV2001 is just as good as 2005 if you have the most up-to-date virus definition file. NAV2001, however, will not install on XP machines. It'll work with W95, W98, and W2K.

9. -=+=-

-=+=- Guest

According to a post in dslr forums (i.e. take it with a grain of salt), ability to scan rar and runtime packed files was added in 2004 version. The runtime packer support is a very big deal. In their marketing junk, they tout their "wormgaurd", which scans files coming through internet connection, and extended trojan/spyware protection, which has yet to prove itself.

I'd be even less sympathetic if the support for Win9x in the newer versions were only nominal, and uninstalls were only partial.... wait a minute ;)
    But if you do want to play it straight, you can probably buy a new copy of NAV2003 on ebay for $5

Also, I'm not too sure an reinstall will download all the core updates etc. since I'm pretty sure 2001 has reached EOL, let us know if you try.

10. Huwge

Huwge Guest

Thanks for all the replies. Would it be possible to just uninstall NAV and keep Systemworks which I find uselful? If so which AV would work ok with Sysytemworks....are there any known conflicts with aany of them. Free or paid, either will do long as they are effective

Thanks

11. JimIT

JimIT Registered Member

Absolutely.

Just make sure the NAV component uninstalls completely. I run SW myself without the av, and it works fine. I don't run any of the real-time monitors, or the live update real-time, however, so that might be something for you to consider.

I have run several av's with system works, and they seem to do fine. PC-cillin, Avast!, AVG, and NOD32 are all av's I have used with system works.

That's the main reason I suggested removing the entire app, then installing your av, and then reinstalling system works using the custom install.

Good luck! :D

12. JimIT

JimIT Registered Member

None, as far as I'm concerned--but I wasn't really referring to a NAV upgrade, more along the lines of incremental updates, better script blocking, heuristics, and unpacking capabilities that have improved in other av's since NAV 2001's release.

Why? That software has been around for almost 5 years. I think Symantec's well within it's right to pull the plug on the old warhorse! :D

No argument here! ;)

13. Huwge

Huwge Guest

Well I checked the Systemworks CD and it doesnt give me a custom install option. Seems it installs NAV along with everything else in one hit. Is there any way I can just disable NAV and go with another AV, was thinking of NOD or DrWeb. I really want to keep Systemworks as I find the tools useful

Thanks in advance

14. mistycat

mistycat Registered Member

Don't know if this will work in NSW 2001 but when you insert the NSW CD. choose install NSW, choose Typical install and when you see the list, then you have the option to not install whatever component of NSW you wish by clicking or right clicking {not sure which} on that option. At least, this is what I did in NSW 2003 when I trialled NAV 2005 and worked for me. At present NSW is on my machine with no NAV while I trial others. I also disabled NAV at one point {before uninstalling it} while using another AV.

15. Huwge

Huwge Guest

Just to let you know, I uninstalled NAV and downloaded NOD32 Trial which found a Trojan that NAV didnt detect. All sorted on another thread.

Thanks for all the help and advice

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.