Upgrading from Windows 2000 to XP Pro. Problems

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by yakulto, Dec 14, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. yakulto

yakulto Registered Member

I've got my PC in a bit of a state and wonder if any of you guys/gals could offer me any help/advice.......it's similar to another post I read here (titled "Major Problems with Computers") but more related to an upgrade. My computer is in such a state I'm having to write this from my PC at work.

I was trying to upgrade from 2000 Pro to XP Pro and it gives me a blue screen half way through the installation saying something like......

"A problem has been detected and Windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

BAD_POOL_CALLER

If this is the first time you have seen this STOP error message, restart your computer. If this STOP error message appears again, follow these troubleshooting steps: • Check to make sure that any new hardware or software is properly installed.
    • If this is a new installation, ask your hardware or software manufacturer for any Windows updates that you might need.
    • If the behavior persists, disable or remove any newly installed hardware or software, and disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing. If you need to use Safe mode to remove or disable components, restart your computer, press F8 for advanced startup options, and then specify Safe mode.

Technical information******STOP: 0X000000C2 (0X00000007, 0X00000CD4, 0X02C00B, 0X8118111:cool: "

It then reboots and the cycle continues.......

Now, I'm no computer expert (hence the face that I assumed an upgrade would be problem free and hence didn't back anything up.....) and would like to know what my options are, if any, to save as much data as possible.

I tried going into safe mode but then it tells me XP setup can't run in safe mode and it reboots and starts the installation/crash cycle again.

I have no idea how to disable or remove any newly installed hardware as I only know how to do that via windows and as this is halfway between 2000 and XP, so is in a bit of a limbo-land situation. Is it too late to revert back to my original Windows 2000 configuration?

If I press F8 just after the PC restarts it gives me options of whether I want to:

1) Continue with the installation
    2) Exit set up without installing windows (which just restarts the machine and it tries to start XP setup again)
    3) Exit XP setup and install a new version of windows.

Now I figure my only choice is to try to reinstall windows 2000, but is there anyway out of this mess that might enable me to minimise damage in terms of lost data................?

Thank you for your time if you've read all this and ANY ideas/advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

2. CrazyM

CrazyM Firewall Expert

Hi yakulto

... and welcome to Wilders :)

The times I have encountered that error was usually the result of a hardware conflict. Did you run the Windows XP Upgrade Advisor prior to trying your install?

Regards,

CrazyM

3. yakulto

Thank you for the welcome :)

No, unfortunately I didnt run the upgrade advisor. I did try to run some kind of system diagnosis program that came on the XP disk. It told me something was not compatible and to log off and then on again to windows (which I did) and the problem would be solved.

Alas, it was solved only temporarily.....

4. yakulto

I'll be shortly leaving work and thus won't be able to reply to any responses until tomorrow.

Thanks for any further help in advance.

5. nadirah

nadirah Registered Member

There's no 100% guarantee that there will be no problems when upgrading to Windows XP. Make sure you update all your hardware/software drivers before you attempt to upgrade. Before upgrading, DISABLE your anti-virus/anti-trojan software as they can cause some problems during the upgrade process.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2004
  6. nod32_9

nod32_9 Guest

W2K is a very good OS. I see no compelling reason to switch to WXP Pro. That said, I don't UPGRADE OS. Save important data, wipe the partition, and clean install WXP.

7. mccarob

mccarob Registered Member

If you want to get at any data, it would probably be easiest to slave that hard drive into another computer and grab waht you need. Then I would do a format, and not an upgrade. See if you still get that error. If you still do, I would remove any and all PCI cards (unless your using PCI video, which I doubt). And try again.

Hope this helps

8. yakulto

Thanks for all your suggestions.

I'll try slaving the hard drive to another computer to get at the stuff I want.

I'll be back for help if there are further complications!

Thanks again.

9. nod32_9

nod32_9 Guest

A more elegant solution is to download Bootit ng and use it to create an additional extended logical partition D. Reboot PC and copy important data from your C partition to the D partition. Next, use the imaging software of Bootit to image your current primary C active partition and put this image file in the newly created D partition. The image file in the D partition will allow you to restore W2K back to the C partition, exactly as it was when you run the imaging software. This will instantly fix your PC if there is a problem with the installation of WXP.

Now reformat the C partition with Bootit, set the C partition ACTIVE, reboot and enter the BIOS to set the system to boot with the CD ROM, save/exit BIOS, reboot with WXP CD in CD ROM.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.