Upgrading from TI9 to 10

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by lvsunz, Dec 22, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lvsunz

lvsunz Registered Member

Would like to know if I should uninstall TI9 before installing TI10 Upgrade - or can I install over existing TI9? Thank you.

2. Ralphie

Ralphie Registered Member

If TI 9 is working for you, think twice before upgrading to 10.

3. MTX

MTX Registered Member

Uninstall TI9 before installing TI10.

Have both License Key handy before you upgrade.

4. lvsunz

lvsunz Registered Member

Thanks Ralphie & MTX.

5. bigliam1970

bigliam1970 Registered Member

Why should this be Ralphie?

6. thomasjk

thomasjk Registered Member

TI 10 is very buggy. Just look at the number of posts in this forum reporting issues. I personally have no plans to move from V9.0 B3677 for the foreseeable future.

7. foghorne

foghorne Registered Member

This is the position I am in too. The extra features in v10 are of little interest to me. The only thing which would force me to upgrade is when v9 is no longer compatible with current hardware. This happened to me with v8 b937. That was rock solid but didn't support my new SATA drives.

F.

8. Tabvla

Tabvla Registered Member

Agree.... If v10 does not have functionality or drivers which are important for you then stay with v9 until you change your hardware, in which case you will probably need the additional drivers in v10, which by then may be debugged ...... one can hope.. :blink:

Another thought for those who want to try out v10....

1. Create an image of your existing system disk
    2. Restore the image to a spare disk
    3. Download the trial version of v10
    4. Install
    5. Test with your existing hardware

9. bigliam1970

bigliam1970 Registered Member

Fair comments.. thanks for your input.. maybe I should switch back to version 9.

Backup software can't, imho, afford to be 'buggy'.. if it were, doesn't that completely defeat the object??

10. LeeMit

LeeMit Registered Member

OK, I apprecited previous replies. BUT if I decide to upgrade from TIv9.0 to v10.0, HOW DO I GO ABOUT UNINSTALLING THE V.9.0?

Can I use Control Panel>>Add-Delete to sucessfully uninstall v9.0? Or will that leave undesired stuff in Registry or in Windows like Shared Folders?

I know how to install v10.0. BUT what is the best way to first uninstall v9.0??

11. lvsunz

lvsunz Registered Member

I uninstalled via Control Panel Add/Remove but a lot of residue remains, especially in the Registry. I then use JV16 Power Tools (macecraft.com) - it IDs everything left behind - you can then very conveniently delete whatever you want (also allows you to backup what is being deleted, just in case you might need to recover later - usually not necessary in my experience).

12. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Hello LeeMit,

Uninstalling the previous version (or build) via Windows Control Panel's Add or Remove Programs is usually sufficient for an upgrade/update to a newer version/build. However, there have been some notable problems with this approach in the past for certain versions/builds of TI.

To completely (more or less!!) remove TI 9 from your system you can follow the <manual uninstall procedure provided by Acronis Support>.

Regards

13. LeeMit

LeeMit Registered Member

Ivsunz and Menorcaman: Thanks guys. I am slowly climbing the learning curve. It isn't easy. The Acronis "manual uninstall" looks scarey.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.